• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

silkworms?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It seems that piggy is bored with crickets so I am looking into getting her silkworms and other worms. I am having a hard time finding regular silkworms at a good price but can find zebra silks. Are the zebra silks ok to feed? Also, how do I care for them?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just realize...once you go to crix, chances are she will never eat another crix again.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She is only eating about 5 a day now and then stands at her dish looking at me to drop a super in. I know they are not good to feed everyday so want to get her a worm that I can feed as a staple. Truth be told I don't mind not having to deal with crix anymore. I hate those things.

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Silks and hornworms are both good. I have had a terrible time finding silks as well so I sure would like to know where you get the zebra ones. They are basically the same. Mulberry and coastal sometime substitute them. Beware! Once Boogie had his first silk he will no longer eat anything but worms. No Cricket or Dubia's. Of course I could starve him for a week or so cause he is a fatty but I don't mind spoiling him. ;D

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
On the Beautiful Dragons feeding chart it says horns should not be fed as a staple. As for the silks I will have to go back and look again and let you know.

I have been having nothing but a hard time getting her to eat crix since she learned what a super is and she is so stuborn she would rather starve then eat something she does not want

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Veronica hasn't updated the list with the hornworm information from Rob's testing.
The hornworms, as long as their raised on diet food, have the same basic levels as the silkworm. More of all contents due to weight and size of course.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Georgiabugs.com is one of them and the other is mulberry farms, they have both available right now but Georgiabugs is cheaper.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, Thanks for the info Gina. I will look into stocking up on many many different worms and will put horns on the list too

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Boogie eats a mixture of supers, silks and hornwoms. Where as Tessie will only eat dubias and supers.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sandra,

I was browsing the net and found a cool SA online store that I could use and then I came across this.
Seems similar to the Beautifull dragons list BUT it has info on silks as well ;D

It says:
Silkworm - 1:2.4 Ca:p - 63.8% Protein - Fibre & Sugar not classified - 76% water
and supplimentary notes are
Contains an enzyme called serrpeptase, this has properties that make calcium absorption more efficient, can reduce inflammation, pain and best of all it can break down arterial plaque.

Sounds really healthy as a staple feeder

Latest posts