• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick lizzy!

Daz2162

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi guys, im new to beardies and new to the forum, so id like to introduce myself. Im darren and i have a new beardie called lizzy. Had her for about 3 weeks now. Shes approx 4 months old.

Now im not going to lie but im struggling here abit, she started off like a live wire, she was nuts, so fun to watch, eating locusts like crazy, not really interested in greens in the slightest, but her hunting and interest in locusts was phenomenal!
Shes in a 4ft wooden viv with a hot spot of about 40+ Celsius and a cool spot of about 30 celcius which im desperately trying to lower, but my strip lights (12.0 uvb) create a fair bit of heat too which is a real pain, so i bought a fan, and its so bloody loud and im worried its affecting her. But the temp is still too high, loads of ventilation, not sure what to do!!

How often should i be dusting her food, at the moment im dusting the locusts in a bag every day before i put them in, is this too much??

Now the problem, she has become extremely lathergic just hiding away in her hide, letting the locusts walk around freely when i put them in, sometimes even on her!! Never ever see her basking, its very hard to get her to drink, she just really isnt interested in the slightest, just given her her first bath and even that didnt encourage her to drink, im worried shes dehydrated!!
I feed her when get home from work around 6ish but at the moment they wonder around freely, then she must eat them during the next day as they normally seem to be gone when i get home. But everytime im home shes hidden away doing nothing, really worried now.

Sorry i waffled, but im desperate for your advice.
Thanks
Daz2162

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ok calm down. First when you feed your dragon remove live food after 15 minutes to prevent them from biting your dragon. Second you can lower the temp easier by moving the lights away from the viv. For drinking I recommend misting your dragon in the face, they will lick it off (I hope you aren't using tap water unless you treated it for chlorine.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Don't assume that she ate the locusts during the day while you weren't watching. Insects can hide anywhere. Once I thought mine had eaten all her super worms only to take the repticarpet out to find them all hanging out underneath it, for a week! They like to see water moving, so like Dragon Lord said if you mist her it may encourage her to drink. Also, in the bath you can move your fingers around in the water or drip water on her nose and that might do the trick too.

Daz2162

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ive read everywhere and ive learned that locusts are strictly veggie and wont bite my beardie, thats why ive swapped from using crickets, is this not right?
Unfortunately my viv is wooden so i have know where to move my lights? Do you think shes stressed from the noisey fan?
When you bathe them do you need to add dechlorinater?
Do you use bottled water to mist or do you use tap+dechlorinater?

Ive checked all hiding places so i think she gobbled them up thankfully.

Should i be dusting food every day or is this too much?

Cheers
Daz2162

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
No locus cnt bite but still take any uneaten.bugs out coz they may cause ur beardie to stress. :)

Devildoc

Hatchling Dragon
Dusting really depends on your lights if it produces high amounts of uvb then you should dust once a day with reptical. If it's a lower uvb build then you should dust with reptical+d3 daily. minerals are dusted once a month.. I dust with repti calcium every morning and dust with cal+d3 every two weeks but again that's just me and my light produces high uvb

Beardielizzy

Hatchling Dragon
Can u buy a light adjuster it sticks to the side of the vid and u attach the light to it and the light can go higher or lower ! That could adjust the heat levels a little bit ! Also I would def spray her we do that everyday ! When did she move her bowels last ? Is she constipated ? I just ask this because my beardie was acting so lethargic until she pooped ! Are u able to get another fan ? Let us know how she is

Daz2162

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah the bulb is the strongest you can get, its 12.0 uvb.
I dust every day at the moment with nutrolbal and ive also been using exo terra calcium and zoo meds reptivite.
Well the bulbs are on the roof of the viv so they cant go higher, however, since ive taken the extra bulb out which was just a daylight bulb, the heat hasnt been too bad, plis the temp in my area was lower today and the cool end is 26 celcius and the hot spot is 39/40 celcius. I never see her basking though.
So i got home with some reptile dechlorinater and a new syringe, to find her once again just lying under her hide at the cool end, very cold to the touch. I picked her up to see if i could liven her up a bit and she got got mad and showed off her teeth at which point i put the syringe in and squirted some dexhlorinated water down her gob!! So hopefully thatll settle the dehydrated problem. Now i just need to get her being her usual lively self, eating properly, basking, and being a bearded dragon!!

Shes pooing regularly still and todays was a bit watery especially the urine part.

Not sure im happy with the cold body temp and cant understand why she doesnt bask to warm up!!

Daz2162

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1406918574957.jpg

Thats her basking site and her little face after i had taken her from her hiding place.
Cheers
Daz2162

Daz2162

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1406918814016.jpg

This is her having a bath yesterday.

Currently as i write this, shes gone slightly mental, shes running around like crazy trying to climb up the sides of the viv and the glass. Is this normal?
Seems to be from one extreme to the other!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's normal for them to act nuts like that. Sometimes just taking them out of their tank for a bit and letting them run around gets it out of their system.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Yeh Diego goass dances wen he.needs to go he.dnt.like to go in his.viv he.scratches away till i grt him out. I dntbthink he.likes the smell hehe :)

Daz2162

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So since ive removed to other bulb the temp is abit better however, the noisy fan is doing my head in so it must be doing hers in too, so ive switched it off and only have the exhaust fan going now, which again has increased the tem slightly again.
going to see if i can get a quiter fan for the other side.

Not doing well again today, i picked her up, and she was very cold to the touch, i dont get why she isnt basking, surely if her body temp is low, instinct would tell her to seek warmth, but shes not!!
Has this happened with any of you guys?
Cheers
Daz2162

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
So since ive removed to other bulb the temp is abit better however, the noisy fan is doing my head in so it must be doing hers in too, so ive switched it off and only have the exhaust fan going now, which again has increased the tem slightly again.
going to see if i can get a quiter fan for the other side.

Not doing well again today, i picked her up, and she was very cold to the touch, i dont get why she isnt basking, surely if her body temp is low, instinct would tell her to seek warmth, but shes not!!
Has this happened with any of you guys?
Cheers
Daz2162
Have u trued placing her on the baskin spot n will she stay there if u do ?

Daz2162

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah ive tried that many times since ive had her but she jumps off after about a minute.

Seems shes against being a bearded dragon at the moment, not sure what to do. I'll give it a few more days to see if the changes have helped, if not, trip to the vets i think.
Cheers
Daz2162

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Yeah ive tried that many times since ive had her but she jumps off after about a minute.

Seems shes against being a bearded dragon at the moment, not sure what to do. I'll give it a few more days to see if the changes have helped, if not, trip to the vets i think.
Cheers
Daz2162
R u sure the basking spot not too hot? does she poop reg?

Daz2162

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Its between 38/40 deg which I've read everwhere thats perfect.
Yeah everyday there's a poo, cleared up everyday too.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Yeh it is. Tbh u may need a vet trip. Is she eating and pooping fine n ur temps r fine then im unsure. Im gathering ur from uk. Where bouts u from?

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
When she goes is it formed or sloppy. Sorry sounds awful that just tryin to help out. And is she hydrated. To check pinch the skin on her bak if it stays pinched then shes dehydrated. If it goes bak to normal shes well hydrated.

Latest posts