• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

SICK DRAGON!!!!

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
Im sure the seizures arnt new, if possible try to microdose him when giving him his vitamins and calcium, you dont want to flood his system, but do ramp it up after a week or two, lizards are alot like birds when they’re sick all you can do is give them love and comfort sometimes :( im shure if hes struggled for this long, he still has a lot of fight left in him…
I've gave me some liquid vitamin drops and I made my powder calcium into a liquid and gave him some of that and im taking him outside for some good sun

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I've gave me some liquid vitamin drops and I made my powder calcium into a liquid and gave him some of that and im taking him outside for some good sun
That’s wonderful, give him enough sun till he changes colors 15mins-45 should be enough for the day, if possible can you take some pictures of him for us? Top down picture, his vent, his nails, his tail, his hips, hisbelly while he’s standing up (if possible) i can tell a lot from pics, and i don’t believe ive seem him at all.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If and when his next BM happens, itd help if u take a picture of that too, ive seen a lot of lizard poop on this site….

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
If and when his next BM happens, itd help if u take a picture of that too, ive seen a lot of lizard poop on this site….
These pictures aren't good cause this was right after a seizure but here the tail and arms and feet he had when I got him and he lost alot of weight in 2 days

Attachments

• 20211101_160020.jpg
    20211101_160020.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20211101_160029.jpg
    20211101_160029.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211101_160033.jpg
    20211101_160033.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211101_160043.jpg
    20211101_160043.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211101_160127.jpg
    20211101_160127.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211101_160148.jpg
    20211101_160148.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211101_160212.jpg
    20211101_160212.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211101_160237.jpg
    20211101_160237.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211101_160246.jpg
    20211101_160246.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys if you saw my last post about my bearded dragon Luigi and not eating greens well he took a turn for the worse he was just fine yesterday eating and running around I got up this morning and went to switch to day basking bulbs and I noticed he had a black beard so I kept a eye on him to see if maybe the tank temperature he didn't like he never changed from the black beard so I was thinking maybe he was hungry and uncomfortable so I tried to offer him some supers he was eating yesterday didn't want to eat anything so I decided to give him a bath to see if that would perk him up which it did his black beard went away and he was running around assumed his tank was alittle cold so I upgraded the bulb and got the basking side alittle above 100 and put him back in the tank his beard turn back black and I went to turn back to night lights and he THREW up everything he ate from yesterday and Nothing was digested and he still feels sick? Any advice I hate to see him so miserable
Hi we rescue and rehome. If a beardie does not have the correct temps or the correct lights, so his body temp is where it needs to be then he cannot eat or digest food. The black beard means he’s angry and not happy with something. The temp is probably way too hot. And the lights need to be corrected. U mentioned night lights, there is no such thing; so remove them ASAP. Pet stores & the kids that work there always give wrong info & sell u the red lights which should be banned because they burn a Beardies eyes. Never ever use colored or coiled bulbs for a beardie ever & at night; all lights should be off. If u need heat at night while sleeping, use a 60watt ceramic heat emitter above where he sleeps which is a bulb that provides heat and emits no light. You should use this when the temp drops below 70 at night for an adult beardie over 8mnths old which is mainly in the winter, typically in the summer u should not & won’t need to use it. If the beardie is under 6mnths old the temp when sleeping should be 80-84 so u may use the ceramic heat emitter all the time till he turns 7-8mnths old. The 2 lights a beardie needs is a CLEAR basking bulb for heat the zoomed is best and a long tubular uvb bulb to have wnergy, break down & absorbed the calcium and for bone strength or the Beardie will suffer & die. Please buy the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB, the length u order should cover 70’pwercent of the tank & place it starting at the basking side. This uvb needs replacing every 6Mnths religiously or the Beardie will have no energy, weak bones and unable to walk or eat. The temp should be 95-100 more like 97 or so for a beardie over 9mnths old. Also the Beardie needs a hideaway to get away and hide from the uvb. U can make the hammock underneath a hideaway by place ing a soft fleece blanket underneath and a soft cloth above the hammock or get a basking hideaway. U need a digital thermometer & a digital Hygometer, the humidity shoidl be 30-40 never ever higher than 40. Also buy an infrared gun to shine on the basking spot u shine it an inch away fro accuracy on the temp. The Beardies basking spot should be at least 10 inches minimum away from the uvb light or more. If your tank is not at least 24 inches the heat bulb may be blazing in the tank overheating and burning him. Please remove all lights except for the zoomed clear basking bulb and the long uvb. Keep both lights on for 10-12 hours in the winter and 12-14 hours in the summer. Also a beardie needs calcium powder sprinkled like salt on fries once per day 3-4 times a week & on a non calcium day sprinkle herptivite once per day per week on his proteins or on his veggies however the herptivite should not sit for more than 10min befire it’s consumed so replace or remove watever he did not eat that has the herptivite sprinkled on it. I will attaché photos of the ones to buy. Give Baths twice a week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min min, but reptisafe which is drops u place in the bathing water to remove the chlorine. The substrate in the tank remove any sand if you have it, they ingest it and it impacts them. I have attached some photos. Please if he does not improve take him to a good reptile vet asap to test for parasites and for MBD.

Attachments

• DD127420-FA9F-4D13-8171-709FC9FA1E13.jpeg
    DD127420-FA9F-4D13-8171-709FC9FA1E13.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • 0D3E64F7-D85C-4693-AECD-7674EF5944B5.jpeg
    0D3E64F7-D85C-4693-AECD-7674EF5944B5.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 5
  • CDB37395-74B1-4A11-BD4F-5E2B8D7D2C1F.jpeg
    CDB37395-74B1-4A11-BD4F-5E2B8D7D2C1F.jpeg
    796.5 KB · Views: 5
  • BD9FB61D-E32E-4336-9E60-0A19D86B0600.jpeg
    BD9FB61D-E32E-4336-9E60-0A19D86B0600.jpeg
    791 KB · Views: 5
  • A4BE9D6E-291A-479B-9470-A82F9F4A52ED.jpeg
    A4BE9D6E-291A-479B-9470-A82F9F4A52ED.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
These pictures aren't good cause this was right after a seizure but here the tail and arms and feet he had when I got him and he lost alot of weight in 2 days
Hi we rescue and rehome; the beardie has MBD due to incorrect or improper uVb. Shakes, tremors, wobbles & seizures is MBD. He needs proper & correct UVB asap & he has tail rot; so he needs a good reptile Vet for antibiotics for the tail rot. Please buy the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB the length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank & should be replaced every 6Mnths religiously!! Place this uvb light staring at the hot/basking side. U can google a specialty reptile store & they may have this uvb light it’s a long tube or u order from Amazon or Carolina cages. Do this asap & he needs a clear zoomed basking bulb for heat. Make the tank is hurt amd fall proof, his bones are weak amd he’s brittle/wobbly; he has MBD. So get towels & create a soft easy basking spot to je can go up & down easily without hurting himself. Leave both lights on for 10-12 hours in the winter amd 12-14 in the summer; for now maybe leave them on for 14 hours or so so he can make up for lost time of not having UVB. I will post a pic of a dragon I recovered from MBD u will see her basking area is made of a box and soft towels. Take him to the vet for calcium shots amd get the proper uVb rite away. Feed him lots of proteins and sprinkle calcium powder once per day 5 times a week on his crickets or dubia roaches & sprinkle herptivite once per day once per week on a non calcium day. Also, The tail looks like tail rot either he was injured or the shedding never came off and joked the circulation so that’s why Beardies needs baths twice a week for 15min minimum on lukewarm dechlorinated water and more baths when shedding to help the skin fall off quicker. Attached is a picture of what u need to buy.

Attachments

• 002441DD-5ACF-4C2D-9A01-FB8A45176A41.jpeg
    002441DD-5ACF-4C2D-9A01-FB8A45176A41.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • 9CF1146D-8941-4558-8180-B0FB3BCC4D0F.jpeg
    9CF1146D-8941-4558-8180-B0FB3BCC4D0F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 8E0603EE-ED76-491B-881D-1F9EC95690C6.jpeg
    8E0603EE-ED76-491B-881D-1F9EC95690C6.jpeg
    791 KB · Views: 5
  • CCB641A0-0965-440E-9C8A-F8A4470F3D3B.jpeg
    CCB641A0-0965-440E-9C8A-F8A4470F3D3B.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 6

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
Hi we rescue and rehome. If a beardie does not have the correct temps or the correct lights, so his body temp is where it needs to be then he cannot eat or digest food. The black beard means he’s angry and not happy with something. The temp is probably way too hot. And the lights need to be corrected. U mentioned night lights, there is no such thing; so remove them ASAP. Pet stores & the kids that work there always give wrong info & sell u the red lights which should be banned because they burn a Beardies eyes. Never ever use colored or coiled bulbs for a beardie ever & at night; all lights should be off. If u need heat at night while sleeping, use a 60watt ceramic heat emitter above where he sleeps which is a bulb that provides heat and emits no light. You should use this when the temp drops below 70 at night for an adult beardie over 8mnths old which is mainly in the winter, typically in the summer u should not & won’t need to use it. If the beardie is under 6mnths old the temp when sleeping should be 80-84 so u may use the ceramic heat emitter all the time till he turns 7-8mnths old. The 2 lights a beardie needs is a CLEAR basking bulb for heat the zoomed is best and a long tubular uvb bulb to have wnergy, break down & absorbed the calcium and for bone strength or the Beardie will suffer & die. Please buy the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB, the length u order should cover 70’pwercent of the tank & place it starting at the basking side. This uvb needs replacing every 6Mnths religiously or the Beardie will have no energy, weak bones and unable to walk or eat. The temp should be 95-100 more like 97 or so for a beardie over 9mnths old. Also the Beardie needs a hideaway to get away and hide from the uvb. U can make the hammock underneath a hideaway by place ing a soft fleece blanket underneath and a soft cloth above the hammock or get a basking hideaway. U need a digital thermometer & a digital Hygometer, the humidity shoidl be 30-40 never ever higher than 40. Also buy an infrared gun to shine on the basking spot u shine it an inch away fro accuracy on the temp. The Beardies basking spot should be at least 10 inches minimum away from the uvb light or more. If your tank is not at least 24 inches the heat bulb may be blazing in the tank overheating and burning him. Please remove all lights except for the zoomed clear basking bulb and the long uvb. Keep both lights on for 10-12 hours in the winter and 12-14 hours in the summer. Also a beardie needs calcium powder sprinkled like salt on fries once per day 3-4 times a week & on a non calcium day sprinkle herptivite once per day per week on his proteins or on his veggies however the herptivite should not sit for more than 10min befire it’s consumed so replace or remove watever he did not eat that has the herptivite sprinkled on it. I will attaché photos of the ones to buy. Give Baths twice a week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min min, but reptisafe which is drops u place in the bathing water to remove the chlorine. The substrate in the tank remove any sand if you have it, they ingest it and it impacts them. I have attached some photos. Please if he does not improve take him to a good reptile vet asap to test for parasites and for MBD.

Hi we rescue and rehome; the beardie has MBD due to incorrect or improper uVb. Shakes, tremors, wobbles & seizures is MBD. He needs proper & correct UVB asap & he has tail rot; so he needs a good reptile Vet for antibiotics for the tail rot. Please buy the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB the length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank & should be replaced every 6Mnths religiously!! Place this uvb light staring at the hot/basking side. U can google a specialty reptile store & they may have this uvb light it’s a long tube or u order from Amazon or Carolina cages. Do this asap & he needs a clear zoomed basking bulb for heat. Make the tank is hurt amd fall proof, his bones are weak amd he’s brittle/wobbly; he has MBD. So get towels & create a soft easy basking spot to je can go up & down easily without hurting himself. Leave both lights on for 10-12 hours in the winter amd 12-14 in the summer; for now maybe leave them on for 14 hours or so so he can make up for lost time of not having UVB. I will post a pic of a dragon I recovered from MBD u will see her basking area is made of a box and soft towels. Take him to the vet for calcium shots amd get the proper uVb rite away. Feed him lots of proteins and sprinkle calcium powder once per day 5 times a week on his crickets or dubia roaches & sprinkle herptivite once per day once per week on a non calcium day. Also, The tail looks like tail rot either he was injured or the shedding never came off and joked the circulation so that’s why Beardies needs baths twice a week for 15min minimum on lukewarm dechlorinated water and more baths when shedding to help the skin fall off quicker. Attached is a picture of what u need to buy.
*Update* Luigi has stopped having seizures!!! I gave him a triple shot of calcium and nice good sunshine for 2 hours im in the process of getting good uvb cause of course my petstore near me doesn't have that. And I think he's going into brumation can't say for certain cause this is the first bearded dragon I've ever owned thats over a year my first dragon is 9 months cause all he wants to do is stay in his hide and sleep no Appétit everything I've seen matched what brumation was I am going to de worm him and parasites too so hopefully he doesn't go into those fits again cause it was rough to watch and see

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
*Update* well the news isn't good he started to poop Nothing but liquid so I forced him to drink water to keep him hydrated and early this morning he had a seizure
Liquid is ok. The Beardie has NOT been eating so there’s nothing to poop. Hi f the poop is runny or soft then he has a parasite. Please take him to a vet ASAP. Also Please get the Reptisun 10.0 T5 it’s a long tubular light for UVB and it needs replacing every 6Mnths!!! A Beardie needs a clear basking bulb for heat (zoomed is best) and a Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB. For now get one at petco or Petsmart and use it then return it when the correct one arrives. Petsmart or petco have a Reptisun 10.0 T8 please get that use it ans then return it ASAP.

Earls MUM

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys if you saw my last post about my bearded dragon Luigi and not eating greens well he took a turn for the worse he was just fine yesterday eating and running around I got up this morning and went to switch to day basking bulbs and I noticed he had a black beard so I kept a eye on him to see if maybe the tank temperature he didn't like he never changed from the black beard so I was thinking maybe he was hungry and uncomfortable so I tried to offer him some supers he was eating yesterday didn't want to eat anything so I decided to give him a bath to see if that would perk him up which it did his black beard went away and he was running around assumed his tank was alittle cold so I upgraded the bulb and got the basking side alittle above 100 and put him back in the tank his beard turn back black and I went to turn back to night lights and he THREW up everything he ate from yesterday and Nothing was digested and he still feels sick? Any advice I hate to see him so miserable
Please take to the vet. They can aspirated on their vomit. Bearded dragons can become very sick so quickly. Hence suggesting the vets. We may have some knowledge but no where as experienced as a reptile vet.

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
Please take to the vet. They can aspirated on their vomit. Bearded dragons can become very sick so quickly. Hence suggesting the vets. We may have some knowledge but no where as experienced as a reptile vet.
I talked to the reptile vet threw the phone and told her the situation she she said to get more calcium down him to see if that would stop the seizures which it did by alot so she's thinking bone disease and she told me for tests to see if it's not bone disease that could run alot and the best bet would be to put him down but he seems to be doing fine and I treating him for parasites now as we speak since he definitely has bad parasites per the fecal matter we brought to test

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
I talked to the reptile vet threw the phone and told her the situation she she said to get more calcium down him to see if that would stop the seizures which it did by alot so she's thinking bone disease and she told me for tests to see if it's not bone disease that could run alot and the best bet would be to put him down but he seems to be doing fine and I treating him for parasites now as we speak since he definitely has bad parasites per the fecal matter we brought to test
To add I already knew about the bone disease when I rescued him a month ago I thought I was giving him enough but apparently not now the uvb I thought I had the best cause I looked up the best ones and picked the thing I thought was right but im working on fixing that

Latest posts