• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick Bearded Dragon

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Getting some help
I had one response so far and I was thinking the same thing - I thought maybe liver failure or something

Poor Sandy, please don't blame yourself but it looks like he will not make it. This is much more than maybe sub par lighting or feeding. He has something serious going on, possibly cancer or organ failure. They almost never survive when they get to the state that he's in. You can still try the slurries and hope for the best but prepare for the worst. It was nothing you did though.

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I had one response so far and I was thinking the same thing - I thought maybe liver failure or something

Poor Sandy, please don't blame yourself but it looks like he will not make it. This is much more than maybe sub par lighting or feeding. He has something serious going on, possibly cancer or organ failure. They almost never survive when they get to the state that he's in. You can still try the slurries and hope for the best but prepare for the worst. It was nothing you did though.
It’s heartbreaking to watch him. It appears he’s in a coma. He’s still breathing but very shallow, opens his eyes occasionally when I talk to him and woke up a bit in the warm bath and then went back to sleep while still in the water. I tried feeding his the slurry a few times but he’s stopped swallowing. He’s been mostly unresponsive since last night. It’s so sad with nothing left to do for my little friend. Thanks for all your help. I’ll take him
To the vet tomorrow if he makes it but I’m not hopeful. I’ll Let you know if anything changes.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s heartbreaking to watch him. It appears he’s in a coma. He’s still breathing but very shallow, opens his eyes occasionally when I talk to him and woke up a bit in the warm bath and then went back to sleep while still in the water. I tried feeding his the slurry a few times but he’s stopped swallowing. He’s been mostly unresponsive since last night. It’s so sad with nothing left to do for my little friend. Thanks for all your help. I’ll take him
To the vet tomorrow if he makes it but I’m not hopeful. I’ll Let you know if anything changes.
I am so sorry - it is heartbreaking I know too well - just try and keep him as comfortable as you can

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Tracie responded and this is what she thinks as well
Hello,

I am so sorry, he does not look good. I agree, it looks like something very serious, poor thing. If he isn't
responding, he is most likely in end stages with his shallow breathing.
Since he has been declining for awhile, I would likely say it would be organ trouble, or as suggested,
cancer possibly.

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Tracie responded and this is what she thinks as well
Hello,

I am so sorry, he does not look good. I agree, it looks like something very serious, poor thing. If he isn't
responding, he is most likely in end stages with his shallow breathing.
Since he has been declining for awhile, I would likely say it would be organ trouble, or as suggested,
cancer possibly.
Thank you! Tried feeding him again this morning but no luck. It’s like he’s in a coma. His jaw is very rigid and he neither moved or swallow when I handle him. He’s been like this since late Saturday and there are no signs of improvement. I’m wrestling with whether or not to take him to the vet at this point. I’m don’t mind but if there’s nothing they can do at this time, perhaps we just keep him comfortable until he passes. Not sure my guilt will allow me to bypass the vet but Sandy’s recovery seems so bleak and unlikely at this time, I feel I’ll only hear the same thing that you’ve all shared.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! Tried feeding him again this morning but no luck. It’s like he’s in a coma. His jaw is very rigid and he neither moved or swallow when I handle him. He’s been like this since late Saturday and there are no signs of improvement. I’m wrestling with whether or not to take him to the vet at this point. I’m don’t mind but if there’s nothing they can do at this time, perhaps we just keep him comfortable until he passes. Not sure my guilt will allow me to bypass the vet but Sandy’s recovery seems so bleak and unlikely at this time, I feel I’ll only hear the same thing that you’ve all shared.
I know it may be piece of mind to take him it is up to you -- they may at least tell you what is going on and then you may have him put to sleep - :(

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Sandy passed on the way to the vet! Thank you for all your help and support.

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you. It was devastating and will be so hard on the boys when they get home. Can’t help but feel like I failed this little guy somehow. I know there are a hundred things that could have been wrong with him but I still can’t help feeling like the lighting issue contributed to his poor health and hastened his passing. I now need to focus on Fiona, who keeps going in her hide after I exposed her directly to the Reptisun bulb. I’ll start a new thread if this doesn't improve. Thanks Sadie!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. It was devastating and will be so hard on the boys when they get home. Can’t help but feel like I failed this little guy somehow. I know there are a hundred things that could have been wrong with him but I still can’t help feeling like the lighting issue contributed to his poor health and hastened his passing. I now need to focus on Fiona, who keeps going in her hide after I exposed her directly to the Reptisun bulb. I’ll start a new thread if this doesn't improve. Thanks Sadie!
Please post a pic of her tank and lighting -- has she brumated in the past ?

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Please post a pic of her tank and lighting -- has she brumated in the past ?
I originally had the uvb balanced between the two open screens but moved it to this position after viewing a picture you sent previously. She has brumated in the past but not this year. The reasons we bought the new uvb fixtures was because she was going in her hide way too often. This is starting again. The warm side is in the 90s and the basking temp is 95 on the decor. The cool side is 74.

Attachments

• 9E967913-0F55-46D4-8B97-0F25859E970B.jpeg
    9E967913-0F55-46D4-8B97-0F25859E970B.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 2

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I originally had the uvb balanced between the two open screens but moved it to this position after viewing a picture you sent previously. She has brumated in the past but not this year. The reasons we bought the new uvb fixtures was because she was going in her hide way too often. This is starting again. The warm side is in the 90s and the basking temp is 95 on the decor. The cool side is 74.
Well I dont think its your lighting now - is she eating and basking and then going in the hide or exactly what is she doing now? Is she in a 40 gallon? I would upgrade her tank in the near future if you can - and get your cool side up to 80's during the day - set a house hold bulb up like a 40 or 60 watt no LED's they dont give any heat off something to bump that temp up cooler temps are going to make her sleepy - so you got good air temps and basking -

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I dont think its your lighting now - is she eating and basking and then going in the hide or exactly what is she doing now? Is she in a 40 gallon? I would upgrade her tank in the near future if you can - and get your cool side up to 80's during the day - set a house hold bulb up like a 40 or 60 watt no LED's they dont give any heat off something to bump that temp up cooler temps are going to make her sleepy - so you got good air temps and basking -
Hi Sadie! I checked in with my son, and yes… She is eating and basking. We do have her in a 40 Gallon tank. Do you think we need to upgrade her to a 50 or 60 gal? I’ve been working on getting the cool side temp up. It has been tough to keep the temps up in the 40 gallon this winter.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie! I checked in with my son, and yes… She is eating and basking. We do have her in a 40 Gallon tank. Do you think we need to upgrade her to a 50 or 60 gal? I’ve been working on getting the cool side temp up. It has been tough to keep the temps up in the 40 gallon this winter.
I would upgrade to a 75-120 gallon- dragons like floor space- have you tried another dome w/ a regular household bulb no LEDs 40-60 watt that would increase the temp try a 40 first- is your tank on the floor near a window etc?

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I would upgrade to a 75-120 gallon- dragons like floor space- have you tried another dome w/ a regular household bulb no LEDs 40-60 watt that would increase the temp try a 40 first- is your tank on the floor near a window etc?

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you! It’s not too far from a window but the window is up high. I can relocate her now that Sandy is gone. I’m sticking the extra heater in there from the other cage. Do you think the house bulb is a better option? I’ll start looking at larger tanks.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! It’s not too far from a window but the window is up high. I can relocate her now that Sandy is gone. I’m sticking the extra heater in there from the other cage. Do you think the house bulb is a better option? I’ll start looking at larger tanks.
Try the HH bulb it will give extra light and your not far off from 80'ish during the day- I would use the heat emitter at nite if you need it- 65-75 at nite- it sounds like she's being lazy as long as she's eating basking pooping and moving around she's good-

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Try the HH bulb it will give extra light and your not far off from 80'ish during the day- I would use the heat emitter at nite if you need it- 65-75 at nite- it sounds like she's being lazy as long as she's eating basking pooping and moving around she's good-
So… this is the weird thing about Fiona! She sometimes goes without pooping for weeks, even months. She eats veggies and dubias regularly but doesn’t poop much. Her previous owner warned me about this and it has continued with us. We’ve had her a couple years now and it’s been the same for us. This might be a good reason to take her for a check up.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So… this is the weird thing about Fiona! She sometimes goes without pooping for weeks, even months. She eats veggies and dubias regularly but doesn’t poop much. Her previous owner warned me about this and it has continued with us. We’ve had her a couple years now and it’s been the same for us. This might be a good reason to take her for a check up.
Dragons can go long periods of time w/ out pooping - if you want her to go to the bathroom say it's been a month feed her some plain canned pumpkin w/ a drop or 2 of olive oil and an drop or 2 of honey - just keep tabs on her basking temps 95-100

Latest posts