• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shedding help for BD

Joe Giddz

Hatchling Dragon
Hey all I have a 12-13week old BD not sure on the exact age but he is small probably only 12cm long from head to tail. Picture below if that helps. However since I have had him which is about 3 weeks now he doesn't seem to have shed a lot it's just tiny little bits that are flaking off him is this normal for his age?

b8a384a74e0b7ae90e73631c39fec5c1.jpg

to give an idea of his size. This was a last weekend so has got a little bit bigger since then but not much more.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
It is normal to shed in sections and little by little. My BD usually sheds from his head a little then his tail and lastly on his body but it's patchy but eventually all of it comes off. Giving him a shower could help but with lukewarm water like when bathing a baby. Also scrub him a little with a soft toothbrush but very gently but at his size you wouldn't need to as the early sheds come off easily in my opinion. If u notice a darker section after a couple weeks he hasn't shed a shower should be given as this could be stuck shed and can eventually make future sheds problematic. Hope that helps. I'm no expert but there's plenty of people here who have more experience so let them shine in

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Joe Giddz

Hatchling Dragon
It is normal to shed in sections and little by little. My BD usually sheds from his head a little then his tail and lastly on his body but it's patchy but eventually all of it comes off. Giving him a shower could help but with lukewarm water like when bathing a baby. Also scrub him a little with a soft toothbrush but very gently but at his size you wouldn't need to as the early sheds come off easily in my opinion. If u notice a darker section after a couple weeks he hasn't shed a shower should be given as this could be stuck shed and can eventually make future sheds problematic. Hope that helps. I'm no expert but there's plenty of people here who have more experience so let them shine in

Thanks I will try bathing him and gently scrubbing with a soft brush. How often should they be bathed like once or twice a week?

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks I will try bathing him and gently scrubbing with a soft brush. How often should they be bathed like once or twice a week?

I do it once a week because mine doesn't seem to drink much water on his own the times I spray him but when I shower him he does. Be careful as they tend to poop in the water and u don't want him drinking it after that so change it as soon as he poops if he does.

Joe Giddz

Hatchling Dragon
I do it once a week because mine doesn't seem to drink much water on his own the times I spray him but when I shower him he does. Be careful as they tend to poop in the water and u don't want him drinking it after that so change it as soon as he poops if he does.

Thanks for your help :) I just thought his shed should come off in more clumps instead of tiny flaky bits?

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
Youre welcome...As long as your showering him he should be fine...just an advice, try to get him to eat his salad asap. I spoiled mine with insects and now he barely touches his greens , he'll only eat them if that's all I give him lol

Joe Giddz

Hatchling Dragon
Youre welcome...As long as your showering him he should be fine...just an advice, try to get him to eat his salad asap. I spoiled mine with insects and now he barely touches his greens , he'll only eat them if that's all I give him lol

Thanks mate and funnily enough he eats his veg straight after I have fed him locusts and won't eat anymore he goes straight to his veg and munches his kale and squash haha

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
don't be alarmed if you can't get your little one to eat their greens as right now protein is very important.. feed greens daily and in time they will eat it, feed your feeders the greens as well so when they eat the bugs they get some that way.

As babies they will shed alot!!! baths 1-2 times a week will help, as they eat more they grow more so more they will shed.. Once adult this process changes alot lol they will shed a toe here leg there seems to never happen all at once...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Babies should shed more and in bigger pieces than adults do. I would check to make sure your humidity isn't too low. People are always worried about humidity being too high but don't take into consideration that when it's too low, it also causes problems. I would start with a bath at least once a week to see if that helps things.

Latest posts