• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shedding Behavior?

PastaJoe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I recently got a beardie he was eating his first couple days fine (Crickets and greens) However he is not eating any feeder but hes loving the greens. I am not too concerned i assume this wold be due to him shedding or relocation . More concerning he is keeping his eye close mainly one but he is occasionally alternating. I saw him scratch some shed off and checked to make sure his eye was clear. Could this be due to him scratching or due they just like to keep an eye closed sometimes? He seems healthy his eyes are open and alert when i first take him out.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, I recently got a beardie he was eating his first couple days fine (Crickets and greens) However he is not eating any feeder but hes loving the greens. I am not too concerned i assume this wold be due to him shedding or relocation . More concerning he is keeping his eye close mainly one but he is occasionally alternating. I saw him scratch some shed off and checked to make sure his eye was clear. Could this be due to him scratching or due they just like to keep an eye closed sometimes? He seems healthy his eyes are open and alert when i first take him out.
Yes they do both w/ the alternating of the eyes -- its possible he could of scratched it -- is it watering? You can take some saline solution no contact lense stuff and wash his eye - is the eye swollen? Take a pic of it and post please

PastaJoe

Bearded Dragon Egg
His eye looks fine no discharge or water. I have a broken phone camera or i would post. Will post in the morning with friends phone. Do they just prefer keeping an eye closed usually?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His eye looks fine no discharge or water. I have a broken phone camera or i would post. Will post in the morning with friends phone. Do they just prefer keeping an eye closed usually?
It is very common for them to bask w/ one eye closed - but you want to keep an eye on it cuz sometimes they will scratch the eye if they are using their claws -- you also haft to keep an eye on the eyes if your using coil UVB's as well - there are many things that dragons do that you haft to rule out the reasons why they are doing it - coil UVB's will also cause them not to eat - or they wont bask because of the rays its emitting -- get a pic of it and post and I will look --- if its simple shed saline will loosen the shed and it will come off ---

PastaJoe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry got caught up with work and what not. I think he probably scratched his eye its open now no signs of anything in it or any scaring. Hes active and eating thank you for your concern and insight