• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shedding and tank cleaning

Kacie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had my Beardie about 2 weeks. I was going to clean his tank last week, but it was basically spotless. I clean out any defecation, daily. The tank is starting to look a little icky. Not bad. Not gross. But not super clean like it was. There is some dusty bits from doing the daily clean out. I was going to clean it out today and wash the turf, however, Taco, that's what my daughter named him, started shedding a few days ago! He isn't aggressive, but he is obviously agitated with the shedding process! He's only a few months old and he's only been in his home (a 55 gallon tank) for two weeks. Should I wait until he's less agitated with this shedding business before moving around his whole world to clean??

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If his tank is dirty you should clean it. My boy is shedding right now too and he is leaving bits and pieces of himself all over his tank. I put him in the bath tub and let him soak while I clean his tank. I take the carpet out and I vacuum it before I wash it, I found this way the pieces don't get stuck in the carpet. Don't leave him unattended in the tub though, if your daughter or someone can keep an eye on him that would be helpful.

MetalicPheonix

Juvenile Dragon
55 gallon tank that a good size is a 50 gallon tank enough for a adult dragon though. But at least he has some extra room

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would go ahead and clean the tank just knowing that if he's not done shedding it may get pieces scattered around but mostly clean... A 50 gal is still good size. Mine is in a 55gal. I make sure that you let him soak in luke warm water to help with his shedding. I take my Izzy into a safe room and she runs around for awhile for extra exercise.

MetalicPheonix

Juvenile Dragon
I heard warm water is better than cold water I kinda don't believe it but it really useless to do since they need something to refresh

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I heard warm water is better than cold water I kinda don't believe it but it really useless to do since they need something to refresh
As far as bathing is concerned luke warm ( like what you would bathe a baby in). As far as water inside the enclosure sometimes it's not needed as they get most water/moisture from the insects etc but I use room temp spring water.

Kacie

Bearded Dragon Egg
He's only a few months old... I don't even know how or what to bathe him in!

Kacie

Bearded Dragon Egg
If his tank is dirty you should clean it. My boy is shedding right now too and he is leaving bits and pieces of himself all over his tank. I put him in the bath tub and let him soak while I clean his tank. I take the carpet out and I vacuum it before I wash it, I found this way the pieces don't get stuck in the carpet. Don't leave him unattended in the tub though, if your daughter or someone can keep an eye on him that would be helpful.

He's soooo tiny
Put him in the big bath tub?? Just a tid bit of water then? It'll take a long while for his turf to dry since its for a 4ftX1ft tank

Kacie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would go ahead and clean the tank just knowing that if he's not done shedding it may get pieces scattered around but mostly clean... A 50 gal is still good size. Mine is in a 55gal. I make sure that you let him soak in luke warm water to help with his shedding. I take my Izzy into a safe room and she runs around for awhile for extra exercise.

He's just a teeeeeny baby tho...

Attachments

• IMG_20151103_212752.jpg
    IMG_20151103_212752.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Maybe you can just put him in the tub with no water just to run around, sort of like a play pen just a place to keep him contained while you clean his tank. Another trick I do with my repticarpet is after I scrub it clean I lay it on a towel and roll it up to get a lot of the excess water off. You can even throw it in the dryer to speed up the drying process. I always have 2 carpets so that I always have a dry clean one.

He is very tiny! Cute :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yea that small I would do bathtime in the sink, but like PatsyB said some kind of play pen or empty tub while your cleaning..

Latest posts