• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sharing Enclosure

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We recently adopted two bearded dragons from the humane society. A female and male. They are both 9 months old, and get along very well. They have grown up together. I have been told that I may have to separate them soon. How soon? The female is a german giant and MUCH larger than the male. They display no agressive behavior toward one another at all.

Thank you.

Debbe

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Immediately for a few reasons that you yourself pointed out.

Debbe said:
We recently adopted two bearded dragons from the humane society. A female and male. They are both 9 months old, and get along very well. They have grown up together. I have been told that I may have to separate them soon. How soon? The female is a german giant and MUCH larger than the male. They display no agressive behavior toward one another at all.

Thank you.

Debbe

a female and a male housed together will mate and the male will basically mate her to death. The male can become sexually mature as early as 6 months and the female as early as 9 months. Early breeding can and often will kill a female.

the female being far larger than the male will end up causing dominance issues and i would be willing to bet she is dominating him and you just do not know what signs to look for.

At the end of the day this is a extremely bad idea. A male and female should never live together they each need their own tank asap.
here is a writeup on housing multiples for ya
http://www.mybeardie.com/housing-multiple-bearded-dragons.php

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, Debbe. Welcome.

I have to agree with Brian. I tend to stay on the side of caution and wouldn't want to risk anything happening to the little ones.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree as well! Need to separate them a.s.a.p. Good luck....and keep us posted on their progress. I'm curious to see if the male catches up to the female once he has his own space.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome.

Definitely separate them ASAP.
Ive read too many posts about beardies housed together, seemingly getting along fine and then one getting hurt / sick and lots of them die due to injuries caused by the dominant one.

Some pics would also be nice. :)

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome...
I also agree!
BTW, would love to see pics of your new additions.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum.

I would separate them like the above posters said. I have a female german giant that I know would take a bite out of either of my other female or male. We can't even let her see the other two because she will black beard and head bob them not to mention she is almost twice their size. Otherwise, she is the most lovable dragon we have but not to other beardies.

BTW, we do love pictures.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome, you have come to the right place. Please ask anything you want.

As if you don't have enough people telling you this, I agree with the group, separate them ASAP. We just had someone on here who had 2 beardies that were living together and getting along great until the bigger one ate the smaller one.

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would like to thank all of you for replying so quickly. We purchased another enclosure tonight and they are now separated. I do not want them injuring each other AND I am not ready for the responsibilities of babies yet. If ever. (Being honest).
I will post pictures later.
Once again, thank you.

Debbe

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your welcome. Good to see you took the advise and separated them so quickly...that was fast!!! I thought it would have been in the next couple of weeks. Your a great beardie parent already!!!! Like mentioned before please feel free to post any questions you may have, no question is a stupid question.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great news, Debbe. You'll be happy with your decision. Let us know if there are any other questions you have.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Debbe said:
I would like to thank all of you for replying so quickly. We purchased another enclosure tonight and they are now separated. I do not want them injuring each other AND I am not ready for the responsibilities of babies yet. If ever. (Being honest).
I will post pictures later.
Once again, thank you.

Debbe

That's awesome!

And....I don't ever want beardie babies, either. At least not multiple ones. LOL!

Latest posts