• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Setup

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
My set up for my 2 daughters beardie, Lilly, (who is a boy lol) but my youngest ( who's 2 wanted to it that) so its stuck

Let us no what to think
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342205404.910292.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Very nice looking enclosure, but once again the lighting setup\layout is not effective, uvb is not effective at the basking spot where it is needed. Those types of thermometers are suited for aquariums & are useless in this application, so you have no idea what you accurate temps are. You have a night light that is not needed or wanted, as it will bother most BDs sleep. Night heat is only required if your ambient night room temps drop below the mid to low 60s F (Approx. 17C), in which case a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) should be used, heat with no light emitted to bother the BDs sleep. A BD should be allowed to cool at night, slows their metabolism down for a good nights sleep. The sand appears to be very coarse & gravelly posing an impaction risk.

Good Luck

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I'm in the uk so thought and was told the light for night was correct, again the substrate is clay based and told was correct?

What's the correct substrate and lights? I got one 3 foot reprisun 10.0 an looked at getting another, ye heat light at night and a day 60 watt

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
It shows 95f on the temps hot end in day, the temp at night in my house is about 15c maybe a little lower

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
At the mo it's 10pm here and it's showing 80f in cool end and 88in hot end with the night light

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Your temps aren't going to read accurate with those thermometers. You need one that will take the temp from directly under the basking light, we usually recommend a digital thermometer with a probe attached to it.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Clay base substrate poses a high impaction risk if ingested. If a particle substrate is really desired, the only one I would recommend would be 'Strained' Children's Washed Play Sand. There are many non-particle substrates available, also. Examples: slate, ceramic tile, textured vinyl, non-adhesive shelf liner, etc to name a few.

Your UVB Bulb is a good one but it does not cover the area where your BD will spend the majority of it's time if your temps are right, which would be the basking spot.

You need to get Digital Thermometers with sensors that can be place directly in the area needed to be measured or an Infrared Thermometer (Temp Gun). It will be much hotter directly below the bulb, where the temps should be measured from, where the light is brightest in the pic, than it is on the wall.

Your BD should be allowed to cool off at night, no heat is needed unless temps drop to the low sixties & light will bother it's sleep. Use of a CHE has been covered.

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
What u mean the UVB doesn't cover him??

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
Yer there are 3, one along the length of the viv any the top about 2 inch deep and one at either end (circles about 80mm)

So I shall change the substation to playsand, it that ok for my size beardie?? He is 11" stl and 4.5" svl

And can I feed in ye viv with playstand

Pat B

Super Moderator
If it were me....I would not use any type of sand until he is full grown. I know it looks nice ....but....it is too risky for your beardie. It can cause impaction then you have a real problem. I have slate tiles and they work well and they keep their little toe nails short. I had a basking light just like you have now....and....my beardie burnt his tail on it so now he has a stub because it killed the end of his tail.:( The thermometers are very important in your beardies health and digestion. Buy the digital kind....they work well and you can get them off of ebay for really cheap. Good luck! This is a good forum with lots of people that know a whoooole lot about beardies and their care. :cool:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Very little UVB is emitted off of the the ends of a tube Bulb, the strongest UVB is emitted in the middle portion of the bulb. UVB radiates only so far, not as far as the light does. The Max effective distance of a 10.0 tube is 20" from the center of a 'NEW' bulb, less as you go towards the ends. Very little, if any at all, will be reaching the front corners where your basking spot is. The UVB strength also diminishes as the bulb ages, providing less & less UVB & is why they must be regularly replaced. Acceptable levels of UVB must cover the basking spot because if the temps are right, that is where it will spend the majority of it's time. The setup now covers the majority of the back part of the enclosure, but it will spend little extended time there & if it does then it is not getting the heat it needs to digest it's food.

Play Sand is ok for BDs 10+", just be sure that it has been strained so that it is fine with no larger pebbles & that you adequately hydrate your BD. Have used it for 10+ years for quite a number of BDs with no issues whatsoever & have always fed crix in the enclosure with raised platforms for the greens dishes to keep the sand from being kicked into them.
It shows 95f on the temps hot end in day, the temp at night in my house is about 15c maybe a little lower
It is not necessary to have that big bulb to take the edge off & raise the temps up a few degrees. I recommend the lowest wattage CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) that you can find &\or place a dimmer inline to control the heat of a CHE just enough to take the edge off. They should be allowed to cool at night with no light in the enclosure, whatever color it is.

Those enclosures look pretty, but are much too low in height to have light (Heat) fixtures mounted inside the enclosure, posing serious burn risks\hazards from unprotected bulbs, making them dangerous.

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
The UVB tube runs across the top in the center brooding light equally at the front and back of the viv

So ur sort of saying that the viv i have is the wrong size? How am I suppose to fix the lamps

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Short of cutting holes in the top, screening them off & placing domed fixtures above I really don't know how to make that safe. It is a poor design, not tall enough to have the fixtures & bulbs mounted inside, that has to be 18" or less, inside dimensions. Take away six inches for the Bulb & fixture, with any kind of a raised basking spot at all, the BD is too close to a bare unprotected bulb. BDs sense heat with their third eye, would not feel a tail or other extremity touching a hot bulb until much too late. Have been told of it happening on too many occasions with similar distances.
I had a basking light just like you have now....and....my beardie burnt his tail on it so now he has a stub because it killed the end of his tail.:(

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
The viv is 48 x18x18

So it best for me to get a dome fixing

Pat B

Super Moderator
The viv is 48 x18x18

So it best for me to get a dome fixing
Yes....please get a domed fixture. Your beardie eventually will whip that tail up on that bulb and burn it....you don't want that to happen. It should be fairly easy to cut a circle on the top of your viv. Also it will give some ventilation. Good luck and let us know how you do.....:rolleyes:

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
Well changed my substrate to playstand now as advice given, just got to get a dome fixing for the the basking light,

I have removed the light and fitting for night time and had it off with no heat in for the last 2 nights and beardie seems fine with it, he's a little dark in the morn but fine then after basked for a while,

Just got to get him used to me and been handles now as runs off all the time with mouth wide open, lol

Pat B

Super Moderator
Be patient with your little beardie and let him get used to his new home. Talk to him and let him see your hands when you go to pet him. I would suggest not taking him out for maybe a week or so. They are tough little critters and sounds like you are the right track. Good luck! :cool:

Latest posts