• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

SERIOUS QUESTION-NEED ANSWER

LParkey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Please pretty please I hope someone has an answer?! I need to know what sealant is safe to use for wood enclosures. It's not beardie related but I cannot get an answer from anyone! I have 2 sulcata torts, I built them a tortoise table from scrap wood I had. I really need to seal/treat this wood, but I don't know what is safe for animals. Anyone know? I greatly appreciate any response!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How much water does it have to withstand, will it be sitting in water or just splashes?

LParkey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Just splashes, when I spill some while filling their water dish, when I spray them and their enclosure

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I suggest Latex Polyurethane, heavy coats, just short of dripping. Allowed to dry thoroughly between coats. If it is bare wood, the first coat will soak right into the wood, kind of plasticizing it a bit. 2 more coats should seal it right up. Once thoroughly dry, would be quite safe.

LParkey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
K thank you SO much Germ, you are the first to give me an answer! I even asked on the tortoise forum and nobody on there could give me an answer! Really do appreciate it!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your welcome, if you want it colored, use a good quality latex paint, thoroughly dried, then 2 coats of Latex polyurethane. Polyurethane is generally a clear or stain colored finish.