• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand recommendations?

Aidan Borden

Bearded Dragon Egg
My mother is dead set against getting sand for the dragons. However, I don't have the time to clean their rugs every day, and they crawl around in their own feces until I get to it everyday. I figure I can spare the time to scoop their poop out every day, but she says that all she's heard about sand is that it's unhealthy for the dragon. Can anyone point me towards a brand of sand that is popular, safe, healthy, and well-known?

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
The thing about sand is that if you choose to use it, the rest of your husbandry has to be absolutely on point. If you do choose to use it, consider children's play sand, rinsed and sifted (I actually bake mine as well, to sanitize), preferably mixed with (also sifted and baked - fair warning: it stinks while baking) organic topsoil (no fertilizer or other chemicals in). The calcium sands sold for reptiles are reportedly a bigger impaction risk than playsand, because they clump more.

SwaysMommy01

Hatchling Dragon
I heard children’s play sand is safe just sift and make sure there’s no pebbles in it also shelf liner is a safe option.. right now my bearded dragon is a juvie so I’m using at the moment paper towels it’s easy to pull out and replace when he eats his crickets or poops .. as he gets older I will most likely use shelf liner it’s easy to clean and don’t have to worry about him swallowing the sand and possible impaction.

Latest posts