• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sand question

LilytheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
hi guys,

so my beardie is 5 months old and currently has paper towel laid out on the bottom of her viv. My question is, when is it safe to place sand instead of paper towel on the bottom and which type/brand do you recommend as the best?

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I havent used sand in years. I use non adheasive shelf liner I buy at lowes by the roll. Its easy to clean and cheap to replace if needed. I have way to many tanks to use tile.
I dont use sand for a combination of reasons. 1st it gets very dusty from being heated all the time, this MAY cause eye irritaion in your dragon. 2nd, even if you clean poop the min its laid you wont get it all and that trace residue will start to smell and your dragon will be living in a litter box. and 3 there is always a chance of impactaion. Wont necesarrily happen but there is a chance.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I agree with Tom. There are just too many reasons to not use sand. Why take the risk?

I am also using non-adhesive shelf liner and I love it. Easy to install, cheap (I buy mine from Walmart), clean us is super easy with it.

LilytheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
thanks for the replies guys. so how often do you change the liner then? is it like a weekly thing or do you just keep it there for a while and simply wipe up the messes?

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
thanks for the replies guys. so how often do you change the liner then? is it like a weekly thing or do you just keep it there for a while and simply wipe up the messes?

I also spot clean mine daily also. When the viv is due for a "major" clean I take them out and wash them in the sink.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The washing machine I use for my clothes...lol Im washing 10 to 40 mats at a time tho...lol

Ohhh... :oops: So you can put them in a washing machine? I didn't know that.

Wow, 10 to 40 mats to wash is yet another reason why I won't get into the breeding business, lol.

Latest posts