• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sand possibilities for bearded dragons

abmc90

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We have two younger bearded dragons, we've had them for about 2 months now and we have been using the carpet. We're interested in sand but have heard it can cause your bearded dragons to become impacted. So what are some decent sand substrates for bearded dragons? We saw Zoo Med Vita-Sand (ultra fine grade) and were wondering if it is any good (and safe). By the way they are fed in a separate tank.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Cleaned sifted play sand is the best to use. You can find in at your local hardware store.

abmc90

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Alright but are there any other suggestions? And what about the Zoo Med Vita-Sand?

Nght_RideA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
tiles ;) iv never used sand so its not my place to say anything bad or wrong about it, but im very happy with my tiles, easy to clean, looks neat, dragon doesnt seem to mind it :)

BigDaddyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm pretty sure vita-sand is almost the same as calcisand. The way dragons go around licking everything, there is still a possibility of impaction with any loose substrate. But the choice is yours to make. I personally use tile.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use tile also,
used to have repti carpet (That green carpet thats supposed to simulate grass)
And tile wins loose hands. LOL

If you feel you really want to go the sand route, buy the sifted childrens play sand as previously suggested (Nothing else)
I doubt that anybody here will recommend any other type :)

crazyeye72985

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i bought the sand from our petstore and it seems ok. its the vita sand i have a thread on it already bc i was curious

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One thing to keep in mind when using that sand is it will stain your beardie to whatever color the sand is. As mentioned by others there is a risk of impaction due to that sand. I have used many different substrates, vitisand/calcisand, play sand, paper towel and tile. here are my experiences with each:

vitisand/calcisand- stained the dragon, clumps up like a brick if it gets wet, hard to keep clean, gets in the salad, some was ingested just by living in it since they do lick everything in their environment.

Play sand- hard to keep clean, gets in the salad, some was ingested just by living in it since they do lick everything in their environment.

paper towel- easy to clean, but crickets got under it, beardies would lick it and get some stuck in their mouth.

tile- cost less than $20, easy to clean, don't have to keep replacing it, no risk of ingesting

Hope this helps with your decision, I know you already bought the sand but as you can see I played around with a few before I found one I liked.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We use tile in all our adults and sub adults and paper with the Babies.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is there certain tile that is preferred over others? I suppose it could really depend on the size of your enclosure, but what about things like texture or color. A darker tile would theoretically get hotter in the same setup. A textured tile would help prevent slipping and sliding which would help for hunting...

Seiryu

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just slate tile and it's the kind that has the little ridges and stuff all over. Mine easily run across the enclosure chasing bugs. I wouldn't use the stuff that has some type of slippery surface.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wonder if a material like linoleum would also work fairly well since it's durable and easily removable and cleanable.

Seiryu

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Easy to clean, but probably too slippery. This slate is really easy to clean. And I'm not sure why, but Helios in particular always poops on his basking spot tile, so I just remove and clean. Easy and done. He's never not gone on it lol. Rhodus is the same. Always in the same rough area.

TurtlePunk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I wonder if a material like linoleum would also work fairly well since it's durable and easily removable and cleanable.
I used textured linoleum in my ball python wooden enclosures. I like it. easy to clean and doesnt get EVERYWHERE like aspen shavings. snakes dont seem to mind it either =)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hehehe snakes are so just not picky like that. I know what you mean :):)

Latest posts