• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand, dun dun dun..?

Tessa.Mango

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have sand in Mango's cage but my first beardy, Lizzy, died about 3 months after putting sand in her cage she died from clumps in her stomach and liver failure. I am not worried about it any more because she was never very healthy with her being a Petco beardy! :oops:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What kind of sand did you use for Lizzy, Calci-sand or Children's Washed Play Sand? What kind are you using now? Did you have X-rays or a necropsy done on Lizzy to help determine the cause of death?

Tessa.Mango

Bearded Dragon Egg
What kind of sand did you use for Lizzy, Calci-sand or Children's Washed Play Sand? What kind are you using now? Did you have X-rays or a necropsy done on Lizzy to help determine the cause of death?

For Lizzy we used the sand we do now for Mango. Which is the big bags of children wash and play
sand from Home Depot. We did get an x-ray and the vet had said that we put her in sand to early. She didn't know quite how to handle it and when she would eat she ingested a little but of sand at a time and it clumped up over time and killed her :( they said we could have saved her but we just didn't have the money for a small surgery.

dayle miles

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys !
What age do you think sand is good to use with a bearded dragon then?
I am going to get my son a beardey for his birthday .

He wants a small young one but I am torn about what to use as ground coverage by everyones posts!

He will possibly be an 8 to 16 week old and unsure what size that would be ?
But could do with some guidance !
I have a viv which
is 4 ft long by 2 ft deep by 18 inc heigh

Everyone's thought are welcome please
Dayle

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you use sand - feed in another tank. Even adults can eat sand.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just don't use sand...........

Use paper towel, newspaper, reptile carpet, floor tiles, laminate.

Asked my vet about millet seed which is digestible gives you that sandy look without the issues. Put paper towel 3 layers to absorb water etc than millet seed on top. This is from my vet I use paper towel and newspaper myself until my girl is a lot bigger and older.

Latest posts