• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Same setup, new location...

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think I put this in the right place, if not, feel free to move it to the appropriate section.

Just yesterday I brought home a pair of bearded dragons, both male, who have been living together since they were babies. They're 2 and 2.5 years, respectively. They've got a big massive 6-foot tank and have done well in it.

I keep being told that they'll fight. I've been assured by their old owner that they never have. Greisun, the 2.5 year old (and is grey, hence the name Greisun [think Grayson]) is the smaller, more dominant one. Tanyr (who is tan/yellowish hence the name Tanyr [think Tanner]) is a fair bit larger and the submissive one.

I met them a few times before adopting them, and they always seemed to get along great, sharing food and space and heat, etc etc.

Right now, Greisun is all up in a huff, lunging at Tanyr and biting the back of his head. He won't let Tanyr into the warm side of the tank, and if he tries to climb up to their basking site he gets a butt whooping. Greisun is doing his whole head-bobbing, puffy black throat thing and he's been doing it almost contantly since I brought them home yesterday.

Are they just re-establishing their pecking order or do I have a problem on my hands?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yessssss there just might be a problem.. But, I think we can help you solve this.
Dragons were kept in multiples in years past, and a 6' long tank can be separated, as long as there are two basking sites, two uvbs, and a separating panel between the two.
Now, the head biting is usually seen in a male/female pairing, this is part of the mating process.. perhaps.. you have not two males ?
Hope this helps !
Janie

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Males enevitably fight and any keeper that would tell you otherwise is either uniformed or foolish. Something as simple as a new home would quickly setoff a territorial dispute (which is what you are seeing here) they need seperate homes. If you dont seperate them with them fighting like they are you will end up with one or both missing body parts or dead. since you have a 6foot long viv you could put a strong divider in the middle to give them each a 3 foot home. They will each need their own heating and UV. Sorry that someone told you otherwise but it is a waiting game housing 2 males together (waiting to see which one doesnt make it).

http://www.mybeardie.com/housing-multiple-bearded-dragons.php

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Now, the head biting is usually seen in a male/female pairing, this is part of the mating process.. perhaps.. you have not two males ?

this is also a sign of dominance. Its not just used in mating, thats why when folks house 2 females together the "alpha" female will often show mating signs towards the submissive female.

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Wow, thanks for the fast responses guys!

They're going to the vet soon to get their checkups, a fecal, and sexing, because my first thought is that Tanyr is actually a female but I lack the experience to be able to tell for sure. If he's a she, how come there's no eggs or anything? Breeding of beardies is something I'm completely unfamiliar with soexcuse my ignorance ::)

Would I just use like, aquarium silicone should I have to separate them? And I imagine I'd need some sort of sight barrier?

I'm really quite stressed out about this.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nah.. don't stress.. Take a deep breath.. and relaaaaaaax.
For a barrier, you can use a piece of wood, and if you are going to use the silicone, you will need to rehouse both dragons until it is cured, around 24-48 hours.
Hope this helps !
Janie

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
At what point should I determine that they're not just sorting out their stuff again?

Also, what kinds of wood are not okay?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Soft woods should be avoided.. hard woods like oak are great !
Hope this helps out !
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
no pine or other materials containing sap or pine products.
plexi makes a great divider and is easily caulked in. you can use a piece of background scene to block viewing.

At what point should I determine that they're not just sorting out their stuff again

when they begin biting

for temp housing buy a large sterilite container. Set up lighting and you're good.

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member

Greisun started going after Tanyr about 20 minutes after I got them set up and in there.

There was a point last night where Tanyr got up on the basking site and stayed there for quite awhile, but then Greisun ran up there (fast as lightning too) and dragged him off and chomped on him.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Many are not.. thus the need for forums like this one.

I was one who was not... 18 months later.. people call me expert, I'm not.. but to a new comer to this "addiction", I do have several answers they don't.
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
here's the problem the previous owners failed to inform you of.

Both boys were most likely obtained when they were young juveniles. Raised in a male dominant enclosure, one would be more tolerant of the other and the other would find no need to raise "hell". When their surroundings changed, so did their attitudes. The need to reestablish their hierarchy is "encrypted". If they had remained where they were, they would most likely not be fighting. But best that they're here now. Living lavish dragon lives with little human slaves. ;D

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it's ok. you'll get thru it. Rather go thru it now than for one to be seriously hurt, pay the vet bill, and still have to seperate them.

Set up that sterilite tub, he'll be good for awhile.

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
here's the problem the previous owners failed to inform you of.

Both boys were most likely obtained when they were young juveniles. Raised in a male dominant enclosure, one would be more tolerant of the other and the other would find no need to raise "hell". When their surroundings changed, so did their attitudes. The need to reestablish their hierarchy is "encrypted". If they had remained where they were, they would most likely not be fighting. But best that they're here now. Living lavish dragon lives with little human slaves. ;D

Hey sorry missed this before you replied :)

You sound pretty much bang on, really. They were housed together as babies and I don't even think the setup of things inside the tank changed at all since then. Like I said, I set things up pretty much exactly as they were, and didn't clean anything (which I'm not sure was the right or wrong thing to do..my theory was that they'd smell their old smells but whoooo knows)

In a way I'm glad it's the little guy who's the meanie because Tanyr is much larger than his tormentor.

Latest posts