• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Salmonella

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
I found this article today: Baby Contracts Salmonella From Pet Lizard

My mom works in a primary school and the children in the youngest class are about to learn about desert reptiles soon, and there was talk of bringing my beardie in for a visit so the children could experience a live animal and learn more about their anatomy.
Is the case above a rare occurrence?? :eek: i wouldn't want to expose under 5's to any risk of contracting salmonella even after washing hands

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club

My mom works in a primary school and the children in the youngest class are about to learn about desert reptiles soon, and there was talk of bringing my beardie in for a visit so the children could experience a live animal and learn more about their anatomy.
Is the case above a rare occurrence?? :eek: i wouldn't want to expose under 5's to any risk of contracting salmonella even after washing hands
Bring some hand sanitizer with you. I believe it is rare, but it does happen. Honestly, I think you can catch salmonella from just about anything if you're not washing your hands right.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Children under 5 shouldn't be handling them anyway, even if supervised. Poses a risk to the animal as well as to the child ...

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club

If they're not handling them then there is no cause for alarm anyway. They're not going to catch salmonella just from being in the room with it. And Germ's right, I barely let my 9 year old handle them because he tends to be too rough.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think chances of salmonella are much higher in animals that eat feeders like pinks, mice, rats & rabbits.

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
If they're not handling them then there is no cause for alarm anyway. They're not going to catch salmonella just from being in the room with it. And Germ's right, I barely let my 9 year old handle them because he tends to be too rough.

I wouldn't let them handle her, i was worried about them coming into contact with surfaces she might touch etc. That makes sense Jp thanks for everyones input, i understand that there is a greater risk for children under 5 and people with weak immune systems to catch salmonella :eek: i think if this visit does go ahead i'll need to plan hygiene very carefully

Latest posts