• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rotting tail? Please help

BDnoob

Bearded Dragon Egg
over the past week i'd say maybe 2 weeks ive noticed Squidges tail going black (yes i know squidge isnt a normal name but hey its unusual and i love it! :D) and ive done some googling on it and all ive found is that the tail is rotting? ive got some pictures but if youd like better ones ill take some, i just want to no whats happening as i dont want him to be in pain if it is or i dont want to wake up one day to his tail having dropped off? he is about 6/7 months old.
IMG_1555.JPG
IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1557.JPG

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Saffron's tail turns color JUST like this when she's nervous. It doesn't do it so much anymore (she's just a baby and is getting more used to being handled I think) After a short while it would go back to normal color.

luke.bowthorpe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah Rheagal went a few week of doing this too. From the photos the tail look fine to me. Just how Rheagal's looked.

BDnoob

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its been like it for about a week or 2 and no it stays like that all the time? and i dont understand what hed be nervous of i have him out atleast 3 times a day playing with him and just chilling and he seems fine altogether just his tail :/

luke.bowthorpe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
That's what Rheagal was like. My guess is that if he wasn't ok in himself he would let you know by being aggressive. You can alway get a reptile vet to look at him.

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
When did he last shed? Does it look like that area needs to shed? It may just be his mature coloration. Mine's tail goes a little darker toward the tip and intensified as he matured so it could just be his natural coloration but it is a bit drastic.

BDnoob

Bearded Dragon Egg
no he eats fine and is as active as always, he did go to sleep early tonight though he went at half 7 when he doesnt normally go till 10ish.. and he shed his tail a few weeks ago but it all came off as normal so i dont understand and theres nothing that could of fallen on his tail and it wouldnt of got trapped anywhere, I want to take him to the vet but it costs alot to get them checked so i thought id see if anyone on here new :(

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think it looks fine, I would keep an eye on it. If there is retained shed you would notice it binding. My Dexer's tail has always been a lot darker towards the tip.

Latest posts