• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rolly Poly bugs

jessicap

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Just wondering if rolly poly bugs are okay for beardies? I have eco substrate in my redfoot enclosure and there are many small rollys in there that I thought I could possibly feed to my dragon. Figured the more varied the bugs the better :0) Just not sure if they have a hard undigestible shell to worry about.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would be concerned about the hard outer shell too. Keep in mind that the shell has developed to discourage predators from eating the bugs. I would probably discourage them from eating rolly polys. Especially if the beardies are young.

jessicap

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I had read an article that stated they are okay once in awhile but I don't feel comfortable giving them to him since he is so small. I also read they are not considered a bug but a crustacean so assume they have a very hard outer shell. Will pass on feeding them. If you know what would eat them let me know... I could use to get rid of some... lol.

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
if the bug is from outside he really doesn't need to eat them because he might have pesticides on them and you don't know if they carry any diseases especially since rolly polys eat other bugs poop lol do you want your beardie eating rat poop bird poop you should just name him poopy lol

Latest posts