• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rock Eating?!?

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I recently added a log and two flat rocks to Bayne's tank and so far he has loved them. He will lay on the rocks and log, rub on them when he sheds, etc... Today though, he's trying to eat the rock?! I fed him some roaches because I thought he was just hungry, but when I put him back, he started biting at it again....Time to take it out??

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I did a little research and according to the forums I found; this is a calcium hunting behavior?

They are trying to get more minerals;
"Personally I think its a mineral deficiency that causes this behavior. We give vitamins and calcium but over look other minerals like zinc, magnesium, copper, iron, etc.
When my guy starts biting at rocks or white objects, I offer him a small pile of miner-all to eat as he pleases and it stops the behavior." - https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=117713

Other's said it is a phase that beardys sometimes go through; biting everything....I am no expert; but to me personally it sounds like a mineral thing.

http://www.justanswer.com/pet-reptile/4vyey-month-old-bearded-dragon-recently-chewing.html

"The calcium may be the issue. It should be on the prey and greens at least 5 days a week and 2 times a week he should receive a vitamin supplement. Calcium is very important as it is metabolized in the body with the UVB light. If the Dragon is not getting enough calcium supplement, this can cause the chewing on the rock as most rocks do have some calcium. The day time temps should be 110*-115*F in the basking area. I would try increasing the calcium. Stop the carrots as they can cause some eye problems and are a sometimes Veggie. This is my care sheet to help you along. Joan"

Lasen72

Juvenile Dragon
My Dooku does that too, I took the rock out cause I was worried he would harm his mouth

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Omg, this is not good. I just posted a new thread because Baynes toe is curling up. How can he not be getting enough calcium when I give him it 6 days a week? I don't understand. Geeze, I pray he doesn't have MBD :`(

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have a T5HO UVB and a 100w basking bulb. At night we use a CHE, so I'm not sure it would be the lights

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Omg, this is not good. I just posted a new thread because Baynes toe is curling up. How can he not be getting enough calcium when I give him it 6 days a week? I don't understand. Geeze, I pray he doesn't have MBD :`(

@Bobbi Here is the supplement they talked about in the other forums. Just a thought; put a little pile in there for him and see what happens? it's 5 stars so it should be good?

http://www.amazon.com/Miner-All-Calcium-Mineral-supplement-Indoor/dp/B004JP3XJ2

**Note** May not be calcium related at all; may be another mineral that he's needing.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you, sorry I didn't reply earlier. I will try this as soon as I can. Unfortunately, Tim and I broke up and Bayne and I moved to my parents. They have two cats and Bayne has never seen a cat before so I've been trying to comfort him and talk to him and what not. Been one hell of a day for both of us. I showed his toe to Patsy and she believes that it may have gotten injured/broken and that as long as it's not painful or discolored or anything, that he should be okay. She doesn't think it's MBD. It doesn't bother Bayne at all but I'm still going to have it looked at because I'm a worry wart, lol.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thank you, sorry I didn't reply earlier. I will try this as soon as I can. Unfortunately, Tim and I broke up and Bayne and I moved to my parents. They have two cats and Bayne has never seen a cat before so I've been trying to comfort him and talk to him and what not. Been one hell of a day for both of us. I showed his toe to Patsy and she believes that it may have gotten injured/broken and that as long as it's not painful or discolored or anything, that he should be okay. She doesn't think it's MBD. It doesn't bother Bayne at all but I'm still going to have it looked at because I'm a worry wart, lol.

I read your FB post, I'm so sorry...love just sucks :(

As much as you are hurting try to look out for Bayne. He needs you now because he's scared that he's in a new house with new faces so he needs you to be his calm. If he sees you are upset, it's going to upset him even more.

I don't think the toe is MBD as long as your supplementing and your lights are right. Make sure with the move that the temps are keeping in the right range.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran

I am really sorry to hear about what happened;(

Hoping for the best for the both of you!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry to hear about what has happened.. It will take some time for him to settle, just make sure your temps are good, and if your worried have him seen to put your mind at ease.. Take care of yourself.. hang in there..

Latest posts