• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Right Diet = diarrhea?

toast7887

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My dragon has been popping out soggy logs followed by a pool of liquid death. It gets under the tiles and fills like a quarter of the tank everyday.

I've been feeding him silkworms (switched from crickets a couple weeks ago), mustard greens, and squash. I give him the powdered supplements too when I'm supposed to. Anyone have any idea why he just poops this disgusting liquid. Am I not feeding him right?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Squash could cause runny poop. And this would indicate that your dragon is very hydrated. If it doesn't stink real bad, like clear out the room bad, you are probably ok with it. cut back on the squash and find another veggie to alternate with it.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hijacked.gif

SORRY

OK, this is NOT good news . . .
According to Craiger beans cause runny poop
And now squash too . . . ???? No no no no :-[
Carrots also, but they make it really stinky ::)

Butternut and beans are P's staple, and YES her poop is runny but not smelly at all, so if I don't mind the runny part, is it OK to continue feeding this, shell just be very well hydrated right???. She also gets endive and green/yellow patty pans and baby marrow for salads.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
silkworms are also very high in hydration and have been known to cause loose stool in every dragon.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pogie said:
Butternut and beans are P's staple, and YES her poop is runny but not smelly at all, so if I don't mind the runny part, is it OK to continue feeding this, shell just be very well hydrated right???. She also gets endive and green/yellow patty pans and baby marrow for salads.

runny poop is never good. if digestion is "flowable" little is absorbed other than fat solubles. (Cookies and Chips) They miss out on the things they need like Thiamin, Vitamins K, Calciums, etc. Loose is fine. Water following solid formation is fine. Runny is not fine.

KiwiAndAshley

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It HAS to be the silkworms and from what Ive read in other threads the squashh too.
I feed my chameleon pedro silkworms to help keep him hydrated and his poop is always really watery after and his urates too.
Also I forgot where i read this but you should be careful with silkworms because they have alot of protein or calicum (i forget which one) and too much can be harmful.
Every one I have talked to says to switch other to horn-worms.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Quote from: Pogie on Today at 10:21:03 AM

runny poop is never good. if digestion is "flowable" little is absorbed other than fat solubles. (Cookies and Chips) They miss out on the things they need like Thiamin, Vitamins K, Calciums, etc. Loose is fine. Water following solid formation is fine. Runny is not fine.

OK maybe runny was the wrong description, let me try and explain . . .

White part is fine, Solid part is loose/mushy and then there is a liquid part too.

Do I still need to worry?

As I said doesnt smell bad at all, smells like poo

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keep in mind that dragons need a variety. Squash can cause loose stool, but that does not equate to omitting squash from your dragon's diet. Just don't feed it daily. Variety is key with dragon care. That goes for salad variety and protein (bug) variety.

So, every day should be a different mix of salad and bugs. On Monday give squash and collards. On Tuesday give mustard greens and peppers, etc.
Same goes for bugs. On Monday give crickets, on Tuesday give dubia roaches....or do crickets for the week and roaches another week.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thats the problem where I live.....

Can only get endive and swiss chard. And I heard swiss chard cant be given regularly??? Tried to get Mustard greens and collards but people just look at me as if I'm mad....

Also veggie wise readily available are
Butternut, Beans, Patty pans, Baby marrow and carrots. The rest is frozen veg for cooking. She doesn't eat peppers, that I can get lots of too and cactus pad and fruit

Can I alter swiss chard and endive, do I have to mix veg in or can I for example give leaves only one day, and add veg the next?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One thing to remember is that all things can be balanced.
The issue with the swiss chard you hear about is the high amount of vitamin A and the oxalates. the % of water won't help with the loose stool, but if you balance it, it'll be fine.

you say you have endive. Is that belgium endive or chicory? Just give me a pic if you don't know.
both are fine to mix with the swiss chard and the squash. the squash lowers the oxalates in the swiss chard. However, when you feed swiss chard, do not feed carrot, and lower your application of multivitamin.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
000201DD.gif
Think it must be the belgium one, will take pic of the ones we have here tomorrow, but it looks like this one I found on google.

endive2.jpg

Not like this chicory one
chicory_2b.jpg

However, when you feed swiss chard, do not feed carrot, and lower your application of multivitamin.

I don't give her carrot anymore at all, it makes her poo STINK real bad.

Also, I don't give multivitamins, don't have good ones here according to the herp vet, said as long as she gets her calcium powder and salads shell be fine, apparently the ones they sell here are substandard and not much use??? I don't know. People here are clueless, we don't even have decent breeders.

One more q if I may . . . . I can get mustard spinach seeds, is that the same as mustard greens???

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the endive you have is fine for a daily staple.

don't sweat the multi vits. with good diet you can weigh them out. Avoid the mustard spinach. It's actually just a spinach.........binds calcium. sooooooooo not good on any regular basis.

so i'd mix the endive you have with the swiss chard and some squash. you've got a wholesome well balanced salad, once you add a few bugs. mmmmmmmmmmmm break out the forks........!!!!!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just ran into this problem myself and it was the squash. I was feeding butternut squash everyday along with other veggies and he had runny STINKY poo. I cut the squash out for about 3 days and it seemed to have fixed itself. I have not put any back in his diet yet because that was some nasty poop.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He he, P still got a little bit of butternut today and A LOT of endive. Ran to the bowl and picked the endive right out. Will buy some swiss chard this afternoon and tomorrow she gets only endive and swiss chard. Will see if that changes anything

Latest posts