• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rex's Unpredictable Eating Habits

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I can't seem to figure out when this guy wants to eat. I try to feed him the same time everyday. Sometimes he will chow down all day and the next eat almost nothing. Also for reference he is starting shed right now in correlation to his unusual eating habits. Does the shedding drastically affect his eating? It's getting annoying because Ill take the time to prepare this food for him and he stares at it for a split second then demands out of the feeding container, urrgh. Is there any way to get his eating schedule more consistent? It was for the whole time I had him up until recently. He is about 11 inches, temps are correct in his viv etc. Also what time should I feed him at night before he goes to bed, as in how many hours prior to lights out.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes a shed can affect their eating habbits. Some eat the same, some less and some dont eat at all when shedding. Pogie used to gulp up everything the one day and the next I basically had to force her... Theyll eat when they want to.

As for how long before lights out to feed, about 1-2 hours and not later as the still need time to digest. The same goes for lights on, try not to feed within 1 hour of lights on as the viv needs to get to the correct temps.

My personal routine used to be:

Salad one hour after lights on. Thus at 07H00 (7AM)
Crickets at about 10H00 (10AM)
Top up salad at around 14H00 (2PM) if needed
Crickets between 16H00 and 17H00 (4-5PM)
Salad out at 18H00 (6PM)

Shes now 1 year so she gets her salads and at about 15H00 - 17H00 (3PM - 5PM) ish she gets her crickets or supers or roaches. The rest stayed the same

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea I just noticed him flaring his beard, typical sign he's about to go through another full body shed. Finicky little eaters these guys.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
they tend to do be brats when it comes to eating. I think the shed could be affecting the eating habits right now

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They can be. Keep in mind that they are desert animals. They are accustomed to food being available and then not being there at all. So, they may gorge themselves one day and go on an eating fast another day. Shedding can definitely impact their eating habits.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I just don't know how to deal with this finicky ass eating trend of rex's still despite the fact I know shed can affect it. O but you better believe he will go for something not good for him as a staple (ie wax worms). He ignores his crickets which is the only staple I have available so I think he's just playing me to get what he wants. Enjoy the vegan diet until you start eating crickets again then Rex lol. Im not dishing out the money for live silkworms/supers anymore too pricey. He'll just have to wait for this batch of silkworm eggs to hatch. Whats even more annoying is 10 minutes from now he'll gorge himself on crickets, WTF!!!! Maybe I should limit him to one big feeding a day....... I mean I know its better to spread out the meal times but I can't do anything when he stares at the crickets then turns around and bolts.

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
In my experience with reptiles in general, they don't eat as much during a shed. George seems to be the same way. After her shed is gone though, she usually eats A LOT for a few days, then goes back to normal...

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL, thats soooo funny. Thought I was the only one with a finicky eater. I have now decided to dish out some TOUGH LOVE. She wont eat ANYTHING but crics and rocket. Not even strawberries........ And Rocket isnt locally available and my own greens arent big enough yet.... SO she will have to eat what she gets, OR maybe after a day or two shell decide that green beans/butternut/strawberries arent all that bad. LOL

Latest posts