• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Revamping Viv

Lotty

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
:-\ Hi. I am planning on revamping Freda's viv. At the moment it is reptile sand and a heat pad under that which, is kept on 24hrs.

After reading lots of topics on the site I have decided to get rid of the heat pad and use tiles. Here's where I need some guideance.

I am planning to use proper slate floor tiles or tiles made of board compound which has a coating to make water resistant (used for inside homes).

I will leave her hideaway in which is wooded - humped back hollow underneath so she can hide if she wants. i will also being leaving her basking log and a small piece of wood which I drape silk leaves over also for her to hide.

Q's - Will it be warm enough of a night time (at present it is 70 of night).
Do I need to get an infra red for night time just in case as the tiles will not be as warm.
Is there something I can use as bedding as Freda tends to dig in for the night.

Is there anything else I need to think about or need to do.

Thanks
Lottyxxx

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
slate tile (i suggest slate not the cardboard coated stuff) holds heat ten times better than sand. you will not need anything to heat the tile. and if the normal temp in your home is 70 degrees then you are fine. as long as the temp doesnt drop below 60 degrees you are fine.

Lotty

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
:) thanks crypticdragon. Should I need heat for the nightime what wld u suggest?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If the temps drop below 65F, you can try a heat emmiter. I've had to use one in the winter time when it gets really cold (below 30F), but turned it off during the spring, summer and fall.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
CHE (ceramic heat emitter) works great or heat tape/heat mat on the side of the viv (not beneath due to possiblity of shorting out). Either of these will be able to stableize heat overnight. But it should not be needed with the temps in your home.

Latest posts