• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Restless, constantly trying to escape, very small poop

Reggietron

Bearded Dragon Egg
Four or five days ago my 9 month old beardie, Lizzy, started constantly trying to escape her enclosure. She spends pretty much all of her time glass surfing, running back and forth across the cage, trying to jump off her log onto my bookshelf, etc. She seems to calm down a bit at night but tries to escape all morning and afternoon. She also has freakishly small poops, the size on 1-3 peas.

Things I've tried:
  • Moving things next to her cage in case she has been trying to get out because she can see the floor on the other side of the glass
  • Adjusting blinds to let more/less light in in case the light level has been making her see her reflection
  • Filling the tank with potting soil in case she's trying to lay eggs (still just keeps trying to escape)
  • Putting her in a lay box full of potting soil in case she's trying to lay eggs (still just keeps trying to escape)
  • Letting her run around my room to burn off energy (still just keeps trying to escape)
  • Letting her hang out on my shoulder (still just keeps trying to escape)
  • Warm bath in case she is impacted (doesn't poop, though she does bask and calm down for a bit after)
  • Moving the cricket container to another room in case she was seeing/smelling them
Vet says:
  • X-ray shows some ridges from one angle that could be eggs, but they don't show up at another angle, so it might just be food
  • Bones are brighter than she would expect if Lizzy were pregnant (i.e. the eggs would have leached some calcium)
  • She would expect to see a lot of gas if it were impaction
  • Can't feel any eggs
  • Lizzy isn't particularly rotund
  • Didn't ask for a fecal sample
Environment:
  • 63 gallon vivarium
  • Basking spot is 103 degrees
  • Cool side is 83 degrees
  • I do think it's time for a new UVB light
  • Food is collard greens and cucumber in the morning and then I alternate between crickets and super worms in the evening
  • Reptile carpet flooring
I really don't know what to do here. She's really freaking out. I did just move to a new apartment three weeks ago, but she was fine for the first week, shed the second weak, and now she's just acting crazy. All I can think to try now is mixing the lay box soil with sand and getting a new uvb light. Does anyone know what might be going on?

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Hi! My girl went through the same thing! It lasted about a month and now she has really slowed down for winter. Your little one may be trying to burn off their energy before going into brumation. We ended up having to leave the door on her viv open so she could come and go as she pleased. If not she would tear her home to pieces.

I would ask the vet for a fecal though, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hmmm. interesting. looks to me like you're doing everying you can do. so many possibilities. or maybe - all of them. I would recommend switching out the collard greens for other greens. I mean - don't make the collard greens a staple. it can interfere with the function of the thyroid gland. see the link below my signature for some other suggestions. and - the new light may be a help. or - maybe she's going through a phase. good for you for checking with the vet !!

Latest posts