• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Respiratory Infection

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
I have had blizzard for about 5 months. Currently he is 272 grams and about 16 inches; a little small for his age I guess. Anyways, I've kept various dragons in the enclosure in which I'm keeping blizzard and have never had a problem with any of my previous dragons. Unfortunately my camera isn't working on my phone at the moment, but I'll get a picture up as soon as I can. It's a 4X2X2 custom built enclosure with a 48" reptisun 10.0, and I usually use a 75W bulb to keep the temp at a high of around 100F.
On Friday morning, I heard a wheezing sound, but I didn't know it was him. The next morning, I heard him and actually caught a glimpse of him wheezing and saw his beard inflated; he looked like he had trouble breathing. I got concerned because I knew it was a primary symptom of a RI so I changed my 75W to a 100W because I thought higher temps would help him out. I also moved the enclosure to a better spot where there could be more airflow because I thought maybe the humidity was building up. I don't keep a water dish in the enclosure, fyi...
I've already taken him to the vet and he got a Baytril injection as well as Enroflox, an antibiotic which I'm supposed to administer daily. My only problem is that I need to eliminate the cause of the problem. I know RI's are caused by high humidity, however, I've never had a problem with this before. I already ordered a digital hygrometer since I thought my previous hygrometer was giving me wrong numbers, usually around 50%, I figured they had to be higher for him to get sick, but I still need to know how to lower the humidity. The sides of the enclosures are actually mostly mesh so there is definitely enough airflow. I also have a fan in my room all day and night...

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, I doubt this is related to high humidity. The cage would have to be wet, lack of air flow for a period of time.

Brain storming here. So this may or may not be the case. Respiratory infection can also be caused from dust. If you have sand or a substrate that causes a high amount of dust (generally not a concern from normal activity of your dragon but generally from daily cleaning of feces from the sand causing lots of dust within the air). Its a good thing to remove your dragon fro the cge at this time.

Be sure you are soaking your dragon daily while on the antibiotics and while he has an infection. This dehydrates an animal. If your dragon has any visible excess mucus. It would be great to remove what you can.

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
I actually do have him in sand. Unfortunately, my other enclosure is being used right now. I'm going to remove the sand as soon as I get home. I've already soaked for a good 15 mins, he usually doesn't last longer than that...He hasn't developed any mucus or anything like that. I guess what I'm gna be worried about now is his enclosure and his eating; he didn't eat this morning. I read baytril reduces appetite, I asked the vet for a probiotic, but he said I didn't need it and now it looks like I might have to get one.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, if he is of healthy weight. He should be able to weather the infection ok. At this point i wouldnt stress to much over his appetite. It is to be expected.
Some do go off of food during this time due to illness and or antibiotics. If you want, you can try benebac (the kind for birds). You should be able to find this at any large pet store.

Latest posts