• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rescued one eyed bearded

Bmb

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I just rescued a soon to be one eyed beared. He is a baby as of now but once he’s big enough he will have to get it removed. It has been a good while since I’ve had a bearded dragon so I was hoping for some tips and things to make sure I’m doing and have in the enclosure. And any ideas to help get things for him that aren’t too expensive or diy things since I will need to remove his eye soon and am not sure exactly how much that’ll cost and as sad as it is too say I’m not sure if he make it even too the surgery. I’m trying to be optimistic but he’s so much smaller than his siblings and it’s been kind of hard to get him to eat. But any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated

I also need help thinking of a cool name if anyone has any ideas!

Attachments

• IMG_2565.jpeg
    IMG_2565.jpeg
    939.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2542.jpeg
    IMG_2542.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
I've had good luck getting blind tortoises to eat by piling the food up against the wall so it doesn't move away as he strikes at it. I know your baby isn't blind, but being one eyed probably messes with his distance vision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bmb

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I just rescued a soon to be one eyed beared. He is a baby as of now but once he’s big enough he will have to get it removed. It has been a good while since I’ve had a bearded dragon so I was hoping for some tips and things to make sure I’m doing and have in the enclosure. And any ideas to help get things for him that aren’t too expensive or diy things since I will need to remove his eye soon and am not sure exactly how much that’ll cost and as sad as it is too say I’m not sure if he make it even too the surgery. I’m trying to be optimistic but he’s so much smaller than his siblings and it’s been kind of hard to get him to eat. But any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated

I also need help thinking of a cool name if anyone has any ideas!
Oh my please get some raw filtered honey on the eye -- dab w/ a Q tip and please NO crickets for him - it is best to feed dubia roaches in a bowl like this that may help w/ the vision impairment https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
For your tank lighting is crucial - NO coils for UVB and surface basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- what size tank is he in now? Something small like a 40 gallon for now being hes impaired you dont want anything bigger than that -- the not eating is relocation stress so we need that UVB and surface basking temps on par - I can post links for 3 good UVB's -- basking bulbs need to be a solid bright white bulb NO colored AT ALL NO off white or yellowish or day bulbs -- examples are Flukers basking Exo Terra Intense or Arcadia Halogen
here is a website to find a reptile vet please type in a bigger cities zip code if your in a small area
www.arav.org
www.dubiaroaches.com please get the size no bigger than the space between his eyes
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info it is outdated and is a great staple
please offer salads every day another staple feeder for babies is BSFL - these would be good for him as they can be fed in the salad bowl on top of his salads www.symtonbsf.com you can get these from dubia roaches as well they are called nutri grubs -- I would try medium size they are a larvae - keep in the container they come in feed as many as you want but feed them like 15 to 20 at a time - if he eats them too fast they will come out undigested - but we MUST get your lighting and temps up to par

Reactions: Bmb

Bmb

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh my please get some raw filtered honey on the eye -- dab w/ a Q tip and please NO crickets for him - it is best to feed dubia roaches in a bowl like this that may help w/ the vision impairment https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
For your tank lighting is crucial - NO coils for UVB and surface basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- what size tank is he in now? Something small like a 40 gallon for now being hes impaired you dont want anything bigger than that -- the not eating is relocation stress so we need that UVB and surface basking temps on par - I can post links for 3 good UVB's -- basking bulbs need to be a solid bright white bulb NO colored AT ALL NO off white or yellowish or day bulbs -- examples are Flukers basking Exo Terra Intense or Arcadia Halogen
here is a website to find a reptile vet please type in a bigger cities zip code if your in a small area
www.arav.org
www.dubiaroaches.com please get the size no bigger than the space between his eyes
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info it is outdated and is a great staple
please offer salads every day another staple feeder for babies is BSFL - these would be good for him as they can be fed in the salad bowl on top of his salads www.symtonbsf.com you can get these from dubia roaches as well they are called nutri grubs -- I would try medium size they are a larvae - keep in the container they come in feed as many as you want but feed them like 15 to 20 at a time - if he eats them too fast they will come out undigested - but we MUST get your lighting and temps up to par
I have him in a 40 gal right now the temp looks pretty good even at night which was good cuz I was worried about that I have a bowl for a little salad for him and I throw meal worms and little silkworm type things on it just so all his food is in the same place. I think today was the first day he really ate anything but he isn’t wanting to eat as much as I would expect which worries me. I’ve already taken him to the vet I got him on some antibiotics, pain meds and an eye med. he really just sits at the highest point of the enclosure and hangs. I’ve yet to see him move to eat or drink unless I put him at the spot to do so. He might be doing perfectly fine I’m just panicking lol. But I greatly appreciate everything! I definitely need to get some dubias for him! Maybe he’ll like those a bit more

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have him in a 40 gal right now the temp looks pretty good even at night which was good cuz I was worried about that I have a bowl for a little salad for him and I throw meal worms and little silkworm type things on it just so all his food is in the same place. I think today was the first day he really ate anything but he isn’t wanting to eat as much as I would expect which worries me. I’ve already taken him to the vet I got him on some antibiotics, pain meds and an eye med. he really just sits at the highest point of the enclosure and hangs. I’ve yet to see him move to eat or drink unless I put him at the spot to do so. He might be doing perfectly fine I’m just panicking lol. But I greatly appreciate everything! I definitely need to get some dubias for him! Maybe he’ll like those a bit more
Please no meal worms they are too harsh on the stomach and can cause impaction - try some dubias and bsfl - if you need links I can post them I am flagging Tracie again

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

How are things going with your dragon? That is definitely challenging taking
one in with only one eye. Was he born that way or is this from an injury?
Are you able to get some chicken or turkey baby food to drop onto his nose,
using a plastic dropper? He should like the flavor & lick the food either off of
the dropper or syringe, or his nose.
He is most likely a little stressed & overwhelmed with everything right now.
When is his surgery?

Tracie

Latest posts