• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rescue Monitor

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've been in the process of getting this monitor for a few days now, and today I got the green light. When I picked this little baby up, it was more limp than a well boiled noodle and cold to the touch. It's emaciated, dehydrated, and lethargic. Upon getting this sweetheart home I quickly whipped up a basic enclosure. Before settling in, I soaked it in warm water for some forced hydration and tried feeding roaches and a cut up pinky (not a fun thing to do, let me tell ya). No luck with feeding yet, but I hope to get something in it tomorrow, even if it's syringe fed reptiboost.

I took some photos to show what kind of body shape this little thing has at the moment. He's dreadfully thin.
64b42d84fbe14e6d2c0480a98fb6efc2.jpg

A little more perky after a nice warm soak
027a70fefdd681fab7e04786e1663310.jpg

My lovely offering was turned down
b15010f41659e0682e50c7e87a8edc95.jpg

But it did illicit quite a few tongue flicks which makes me feel a bit more hopeful.
f490a85cbb5025bcf30159f764797815.jpg

This is where my new little love decided to lay down. After a nice nap we'll try food again.
4b4c8fec689c44d8e05158f300059cde.jpg

The humble home. It's basic, but as weak as this little monitor is, I don't want too much in there, or anything too tall, that it may injury itself on. Basking spot of 115F and climbing as the surface warms up. I also have a low wattage lamp on the left for light and to keep things from getting too chilly.
7df0b47ff86508a483740c17cc9e7490.jpg

This is my first monitor rescue. If anyone has experience with savannah monitors, any advice and/or recommendations will be taken seriously and appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
GOOD FOR YOU !!! He is seriously underweight ! go slowly - too much too fast may make him sick. I think the idea of syringe feeding some reptiboost for a few days is a great idea. his little tummy might get overwhelmed with real food. I know absolutely ZIP about monitors but rehabilitation practices are common across multiple species. Hope someone else will chime in with some thoughts. Keep us posted

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1f3074eb55a9bc76c0c363860b112f70.jpg

Reptiboost- it's lip licking good!

The little darling wouldn't take anything else, so I gave it a bit of the reptiboost. I keep wanting to call the monitor a him, so I'll just refer to him as a boy until I know any different. All the little guy wants to do is sleep. With any luck, he'll have some more energy tomorrow.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Eavlynn - I am so happy to hear they let you have the monitor. Now to get him healthy and happy!

Have you thought about putting Pedialyte in his bath water? I had to do that for Wally and it works. I just got the generic Walmart brand as it can be expensive. You can also put it in their slurry and their water.

Keep us updated please!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He (I have defaulted to male pronouns) gets soaks in Pedialite water and I've also been mixing it into his reptiboost instead of using water. He's a little bit more active today, and moves around the enclosure to thermoregulate, which is improvement from yesterday. He's also managed to push out some waste, which is great. With any luck, and some more patience and TLC, he'll start to recover and begin eating on his own. I've taken in quite a few rescues, but none have been as critical as he is. If he fully recovers, this will be the greatest and most rewarding victory I will have ever achieved.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He (I have defaulted to male pronouns) gets soaks in Pedialite water and I've also been mixing it into his reptiboost instead of using water. He's a little bit more active today, and moves around the enclosure to thermoregulate, which is improvement from yesterday. He's also managed to push out some waste, which is great. With any luck, and some more patience and TLC, he'll start to recover and begin eating on his own. I've taken in quite a few rescues, but none have been as critical as he is. If he fully recovers, this will be the greatest and most rewarding victory I will have ever achieved.

Awwww you are a wonderful person for found this. Just in 24 hours look how much he has improved! You inspire me to want to help a certain dragon that's in desperate need of help.

I know YOU can do this, I have faith in you.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Awwww you are a wonderful person for found this. Just in 24 hours look how much he has improved! You inspire me to want to help a certain dragon that's in desperate need of help.

I know YOU can do this, I have faith in you.
If you're willing and able to help the dragon in need, you should go for it. It takes a really special individual to see the beauty and potential in neglected and abused animals, especially reptiles. They are so often looked over and ignored. I can't think of anything in my life that has made me feel happier than helping to rehabilitate animals in need.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've been in the process of getting this monitor for a few days now, and today I got the green light. When I picked this little baby up, it was more limp than a well boiled noodle and cold to the touch. It's emaciated, dehydrated, and lethargic. Upon getting this sweetheart home I quickly whipped up a basic enclosure. Before settling in, I soaked it in warm water for some forced hydration and tried feeding roaches and a cut up pinky (not a fun thing to do, let me tell ya). No luck with feeding yet, but I hope to get something in it tomorrow, even if it's syringe fed reptiboost.

I took some photos to show what kind of body shape this little thing has at the moment. He's dreadfully thin.
64b42d84fbe14e6d2c0480a98fb6efc2.jpg

A little more perky after a nice warm soak
027a70fefdd681fab7e04786e1663310.jpg

My lovely offering was turned down
b15010f41659e0682e50c7e87a8edc95.jpg

But it did illicit quite a few tongue flicks which makes me feel a bit more hopeful.
f490a85cbb5025bcf30159f764797815.jpg

This is where my new little love decided to lay down. After a nice nap we'll try food again.
4b4c8fec689c44d8e05158f300059cde.jpg

The humble home. It's basic, but as weak as this little monitor is, I don't want too much in there, or anything too tall, that it may injury itself on. Basking spot of 115F and climbing as the surface warms up. I also have a low wattage lamp on the left for light and to keep things from getting too chilly.
7df0b47ff86508a483740c17cc9e7490.jpg

This is my first monitor rescue. If anyone has experience with savannah monitors, any advice and/or recommendations will be taken seriously and appreciated.

So glad people like you exist! This guy is definitely in need of some TLC. I wish I had some advice to give but unfortunately I know very little about Savannahs. Wishing you and him the absolute best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you RaeAnn, I'm putting everything I have into this little guy. He started thermoregulating yesterday, which is an improvement. I'm working on getting him hydrated so that I can get him eating.

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out something, anything, I can do to help initiate a change so that this type of suffering and abuse ends. There is no one to contact, no agency willing to work to make a difference. I don't even know where to start. This should be a criminal act, and these animals should be protected and watched over, but because these sweet creatures don't have fur or play fetch, they are looked over. I feel so helpless. There are more reptiles in poor conditions than there are healthy and loved reptiles. The manager at the location where I got this little guy insisted he be sold at a discounted price since they paid for him. All they see are dollar signs, not a living creature in need of critical care. I can save a hundred reptiles, but what of the thousands that I can't? I just can't wrap my head around why this is allowed to happen. I really can't.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you RaeAnn, I'm putting everything I have into this little guy. He started thermoregulating yesterday, which is an improvement. I'm working on getting him hydrated so that I can get him eating.

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out something, anything, I can do to help initiate a change so that this type of suffering and abuse ends. There is no one to contact, no agency willing to work to make a difference. I don't even know where to start. This should be a criminal act, and these animals should be protected and watched over, but because these sweet creatures don't have fur or play fetch, they are looked over. I feel so helpless. There are more reptiles in poor conditions than there are healthy and loved reptiles. The manager at the location where I got this little guy insisted he be sold at a discounted price since they paid for him. All they see are dollar signs, not a living creature in need of critical care. I can save a hundred reptiles, but what of the thousands that I can't? I just can't wrap my head around why this is allowed to happen. I really can't.

You are so right! Even though organizations like PETA can be a little overboard in certain situations, at least groups like them exist to attempt to gain some legislation for animal rights. More people need to care, situations like this have went on far too long. It's not right to take any creature and allow it to be placed in captivity with out designing laws that serve to protect that creature. It's simply sad and pathetic on societies part. But like you said, it's all about dollar signs.
You are doing the right thing by playing your part in helping/saving those in need. It'll always feel like it's never enough bc there are so many out there suffering. All you can do is your part and hope the rest of the world jumps in one day.
Keep us updated on how this little cutie is doing. In the mean time Im keeping my fingers crossed that he will pull through and live a good healthy life full of love.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You are so right! Even though organizations like PETA can be a little overboard in certain situations, at least groups like them exist to attempt to gain some legislation for animal rights. More people need to care, situations like this have went on far too long. It's not right to take any creature and allow it to be placed in captivity with out designing laws that serve to protect that creature. It's simply sad and pathetic on societies part. But like you said, it's all about dollar signs.
You are doing the right thing by playing your part in helping/saving those in need. It'll always feel like it's never enough bc there are so many out there suffering. All you can do is your part and hope the rest of the world jumps in one day.
Keep us updated on how this little cutie is doing. In the mean time Im keeping my fingers crossed that he will pull through and live a good healthy life full of love.

Unfortunately PETA is one of few organizations working for animal rights. I'm not really a big fan of them though, they say one thing and do another. I'd like to reach out to the HSUS and ASPCA about possibly starting up a reptile division. They do a lot of good work rescuing animals and fighting for them, but focus primarily on cats and dogs. If the same effort could be put towards reptiles, I think a lot of good things could come from it.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Unfortunately PETA is one of few organizations working for animal rights. I'm not really a big fan of them though, they say one thing and do another. I'd like to reach out to the HSUS and ASPCA about possibly starting up a reptile division. They do a lot of good work rescuing animals and fighting for them, but focus primarily on cats and dogs. If the same effort could be put towards reptiles, I think a lot of good things could come from it.

I couldn't agree more. I think it's a good idea to reach out and propose that idea. All good things have to start somewhere. And I'm not very crazy over PETA either. I like the picture they try to paint as well as some of the things they've accomplished but there is definitely another side to that organization.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran

I completely agree with you! Those are actually the only 2 places I donate too! I would be more than happy to help in any way I can if you do start something for reptiles or want to start something.

I'm not fond of Peta and how they manipulate situations. It reminds me of this presidential election and these stupid mean commercials.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I want to thank everyone for their well wishes and support. The little monitor passed away last night. It was showing signs of an advanced RI, which I didn't pick up on when I brought him home. His suffering is over. I noticed the umbilical mark on its stomach looked rather fresh. This is what happens when dollar signs trump the value of innocent animal lives.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I want to thank everyone for their well wishes and support. The little monitor passed away last night. It was showing signs of an advanced RI, which I didn't pick up on when I brought him home. His suffering is over. I noticed the umbilical mark on its stomach looked rather fresh. This is what happens when dollar signs trump the value of innocent animal lives.

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry. At least his last few days & nights were in comfort and warmth. That's heart breaking. It's never easy losing one, no matter how long he was in your life.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Sorry to hear this :/
You gave the little guy your best and he fought a good fight. Like you said, his suffering is now over. It's such a shame but comforting knowing he spent his last few days in the company of someone who cared about him.

Latest posts