• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

rescue beardie, eye problem etc, had improper diet

warmbloodedbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Recently rescued a beardie, estimated at 2 years of age.
(the previous owners later revealed they did not know his age, but he was smaller when they got him so they assumed he had been under a year)

He was not being fed properly, on a diet of just mealworms, provided constantly in a bowl in his tank. Some of the mealworms had escaped and there were 4 adult stage beetles and a few baby worms in his tank. He was not provided with any vegetation as they claimed he "did not like it".
He is very pale, they said it was because he was about to shed.
He has a swollen back ankle and walks very funny, but the swelling seems to be going down.
His eyes are bulgy and stay that way constantly. I believe his right eye is more swollen today than it was yesterday.

He is in a 40 gallon, 3 feet by 18" by 16". The cool side is 75 at its lowest and the basking spot is 97. I took out the tall climber he came with so he would not have a risk of falling and becoming more injured. I replaced the 75 watt bulb for a 100 watt so he would have a better temperature range and basking spot (with the lower climbing thing he is pictured on). I cleaned out his entire cage and all of his things and replaced the wooden one which had beetles hiding in it. He is on paper towel over newspaper right now.
I provide him with water and with kale and romaine and some carrots (shredded very small) and he has eaten some of it. He has only pooped once since I got him and it was strange (wish I had taken a picture now), slippery and looked like what you might expect from a diet of only mealworms. No white, which I expected since he had not had vegetation or supplements.
I spoke to someone I know who has owned reptiles for many years and she examined him (the day I got him). She said he was shaking slightly and it could be pain from the ankle injury or it could be a vitamin deficiency (again, makes sense with his diet). She recommended I buy butternut squash for its higher vitamin a and I did, and provided some with his salad today, but I do not think he has eaten any.

He is a decent weight right now (I do not have an accurate scale yet unfortunately) but has not eaten much salad and has taken only two mealworms (he refused crickets) since I got him last weekend. He has only pooped the once, days ago.
I am concerned about his constantly bulgy eyes.
Is there anything I can do for him?

(I would enclose pictures but am not sure how to...)

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
He could have mbd . A vet check would be a great idea he could have parasites as well. They need calcium with and without d3.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Mbd will make them deformed looking . If he wasn't getting good care mbd is highly likely .

warmbloodedbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am trying to figure out a way to afford vet bills, but as a high school student, it will not be easy.
I am dusting his salad with the calcium supplements, and also the mealworms and crickets I try to convince him to eat.
He does also have the proper lighting, uvb and all.
I should have mentioned that.
Any recommendations of what I should do until I figure out a way to get him vet care would help.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Mbd can't be cured but it can be stopped in its progression. Keep doing what your doing with the calcium and add a vitamin once a week as well. Maybe call around to vets and see if they could do a fecal test without the office visit first to determine if he has parasites. Explain the situation to them maybe they'll do it. I've seen other rescue dragons on here with bulgy eyes from mbd. They can have a great life once you start treating it.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I use zoo med calcium with d3 and just calcium for vitamins I have repti boost. I lost a chameleon to MBD but I was able to save the other one and he lives like a normal chameleon now. The fecal is important because of his history and you don't want him to go into brumation with parasites . The no white part of his poop is worrisome to me that's called u rates it's how you know he's hydrated or not. Give him baths in warm water for 15 minutes or so every few days. No problem helping you help him . Others will also help it's quiet today. Ask any questions you have.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
My guy went into brumation in mid October and didn't eat drink or poop till mid march. He didn't lose any weight or muscle at all. If he had parasites they would have been eating his reserves and he could have died by the time he woke up. I'd guess a vet visit would be appx 130. For the visit and test. Just so u have an idea .

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
The shaking is a sign of mbd also. It effects their neurological and bones. The calcium with d3 is weekly because they can overdose on the d3 but I think Iwould dust with calcium daily for a bit.

warmbloodedbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry about the chameleon, and glad you could save the other one.
Yeah, I basically spent what I had on lights and food and essentials, even shopping around.
Will do my best though.
I have some stuff I can probably sell... it will take a while though, so I am just doing my best until then.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Do that one 1x a week and calcium 3x a week. Take him outside in the sun too I took Seymore out for like 15 mins at a time through out the day real sun is like medicine to them too it will help all that your doing for him even more. He'll probably get dark that's him sucking in the sun.

warmbloodedbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Will do on the vitamins.
Canada actually... so unfortunately, while there is sun, it is too cold still to take him outside.
I could sit with him in front of a window, but those filter out the important parts right?

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
The windows probably better than nothing find the brightest one. If he gets darker than he's getting something from it. What's his name?

warmbloodedbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
His name *was* Duke. But I don't really want to keep anything from that place.
Even if it seems silly.
Actually, I've been so busy trying to figure things out that I haven't even renamed him yet.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Ya ur on a crash course learning alot right now. I'm glad your not keeping anything from there too. His name will come.

warmbloodedbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for you help. I have to go now, as my parents are already mad enough that I spent as much time as I did on him.
There are chores to be done!
He took a dose of the vitamin way better than he has taken any food so far. I dripped it and he licked it off the end of his beak and the syringe type thing.
He... hiccupped? a couple times? but I made sure not to put any in his mouth because of the breathing things under their tongue

Latest posts