• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Replicating Natural Sunlight

PrinceH4H4T4

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have gone down a rabbit hole or research on trying to replicate natural sunlight spectrum (UV, visible, IR).

Along with this, trying to mimic sunrise and sunset. Meaning gradually changing temps and UVI throughout the day, to mimic the natural changes experienced in the Australian Outback.

Im having trouble finding some reliable data in some of these areas. Like sun rise and sun set, UVI over the course of a day, natural temperatures, etc.

Any ideas on how to go about accomplishing this?

My current idea, is as follows:
- Utilizing 2 heat sources so I can start with one and add in the other during the hotter parts of the day

- using two UVB setups to again start low and add in the second bulb to increase UV levels.
- something like two 6% bulbs (though I will have to test with my solar meter to ensure proper uvb levels. Might have to do a 12% with a lower 3-6%.

- using multiple sources of LEDs. Some smart LEDs that can change color temperature to help mimic sunrise and sunset. And some bring 6500k white leds to mimic the brightest parts of the day.

Timing wise I had some questions. The plan was to have sunrise and sunset last somewhere between 60-120 minutes. So for a typical 14 hour summer cycle this is what I was thinking:
- 7am: one halogen turns on; one UVB light (achieve ~2-3UVI); adjustable LEDs start up
(~2000k)
- over the course (8am) of 60 minutes LEDs work their color temp up to 5000k
- then over the next hour (9am) move from 5000k to 6500k
- 9am: 2nd UVB bulb turns on (~UVI 5-6); other 6500k LEDs turn on; 2nd halogen turns on
- maintain these numbers until 7pm
- 7pm: 2nd UVB turns off; 6500k LEDs turn off; Smart LEDs begin to replicate sunset (down to 5000k after 1 hour); 2nd halogen turns off
-8pm: LEDs work back down to 2000k
-9pm: everything off

So the only real question about this would be UV levels throughout the day. I realize that UVI can reach upwards of 9-12 in the Outback. But through some research, levels of 4-6 up to even 7 seem to be all that is required. Not to mention too much UVB can be bad. So opting for UVI of 5-6 for 10 hours seems like it should logically work… right?

Then winter would just be scaled down to a 10-12 hour day cycle.

Does anyone have any experience trying this? Input? Research? Tips? Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
In the sunrise and sunset period you want to also mimic the warm color of the sunrise/sunset when it’s orangish soft color 2500k-3000k range leds before you ramp up or turn on a 6500k light such as a jungle dawn I know for the plants that warm light spectrum “heals” plants also if you have just your heat bulb on it’s almost identical to the color of leds in that kelvin specteum 2k-3k so I’ve read. I figure helps let them know when to get back to the heat come sunrise I do something similar like this in my setup theirs is thing you because any recreate just like how the twilight zone looks in my basking zone I have a 12% uvb and in the middle of the tank it’s 6% and on the left side I have no lights under but the entire Viv is definitely illuminated still . Instead of two basking bulbs you can have a Arcadia Deep heat projector next to the bask to make the IR levels more up like it would be naturally compared to the uva in the enclosure . My girl has 10 hours of uvb considering it doesn’t turn on until an hour after her basking bulb does and and hour before the basking bulb turns off because I’ve replicated photoperiods with different timers

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My sunrise starts off with the basking bulb and 5mins later the 3000k leds come on. The Jungle dawn under the bask comes on next 15 minutes After the basking bulb did the 3000k leds then shut off once the first 6500k light comes on 30mins after heat the cool side jungle dawns come on and after a full hour of her being awake both uvb tubes come on . That’s how I have mine set up . For sunset it’s reverse an hour before night both Uvb fixtures turn off 15mins after that the cool side jungle dawn fixture turns off and another 15mins the jungle dawn next to basking bulb goes off and then the 3000k leds come on after the last jungle dawn goes off and 5mins before lights go out finally the basking bulb does too the only bulb I have on for an actual 12 hours is the Basking bulb. Here’s a picture of all my timers they all can have multiple programs

Attachments

• 3C0EC20E-B0FC-444C-9A35-819B4E1C8063.jpeg
    3C0EC20E-B0FC-444C-9A35-819B4E1C8063.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 40

PrinceH4H4T4

Bearded Dragon Egg
My sunrise starts off with the basking bulb and 5mins later the 3000k leds come on. The Jungle dawn under the bask comes on next 15 minutes After the basking bulb did the 3000k leds then shut off once the first 6500k light comes on 30mins after heat the cool side jungle dawns come on and after a full hour of her being awake both uvb tubes come on . That’s how I have mine set up . For sunset it’s reverse an hour before night both Uvb fixtures turn off 15mins after that the cool side jungle dawn fixture turns off and another 15mins the jungle dawn next to basking bulb goes off and then the 3000k leds come on after the last jungle dawn goes off and 5mins before lights go out finally the basking bulb does too the only bulb I have on for an actual 12 hours is the Basking bulb. Here’s a picture of all my timers they all can have multiple programs
So how do you use the UVB bulbs with a 12% and a 6%? Start with the 6 switch to 12 then back to 6?

Thanks for all the other info, very helpful

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Both of my uvb fixtures are on the same timer I have the 12% in the basking spot and the 6% in the middle of the enclosure and like i said no lighting is on the left side the entire tank is still illuminated

Attachments

• EE70CDC7-6B20-4498-AB1E-5D74C5C88CA8.jpeg
    EE70CDC7-6B20-4498-AB1E-5D74C5C88CA8.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 16