• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Replacing UV Bulb

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
I've heard the UV bulb needs replacing every 6 months. I got mine in January, will i need to replace it in June or July? in short is it 6 whole months? :) -i have an Arcadia 12%

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good question!
The 6 months is a general guideline - not necessarily a hard and fast rule. I would definitely replace the bulb sometime in July...

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As Josh has mentioned the 6 month replacement is a guideline & a good one for the way most have their setups with the UVB above the screen & the basking spot is within 8"-10" from the bulb. Type & strength of bulb has to be taken into consideration. A Dessert, 10% (10.0) bulb is generally what it refers to.

The majority of UVB bulb manufacturers recommend changing them yearly. This recommendation is only if the Bulb is not filtered\blocked by anything such as screen & the distance between the bulb & basking spot can be adjusted (shortened) accordingly as the UVB strength dissipates with age or kept, again, within the 8"-10" range, possibly closer in the latter months.

This is to say that you have to take many variables into consideration when it comes to a UVB bulbs replacement time, if like the majority of us, you do not own a 'Good' UVB meter.

Em, your setup has the UVB, unfiltered & very close to your BD at any given time. With your setup, I feel that you could confidently get the full replacement time recommended by your Bulb's manufacturer. I am unfamiliar with the Arcadia, but would think that they also recommend yearly replacement.

All of my UVB bulbs are unfitered\unblocked, all 10% or 10.0s. In 2 of my enclosures, my BDs have access at the Basking spot to the bulb of 8"-10" or less. I replace them yearly. The other 2 enclosures, my BDs can only get to 10"-12" from the unfiltered Bulbs. I replace them every 9-10 months. I have used this replacement scheduling for many years without issue.

Just 'my' $.02 worth on the subject.

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
Em, your setup has the UVB, unfiltered & very close to your BD at any given time. With your setup, I feel that you could confidently get the full replacement time recommended by your Bulb's manufacturer. I am unfamiliar with the Arcadia, but would think that they also recommend yearly replacement. -thankyou for applying this question to my own personal set-up that goes beyond what i was asking :) Arcadia are quite common here, second only to the exo-tera bulbs! mine was recommended by an expert and the box does say 12 months guarantee on it!

All of my UVB bulbs are unfiltered\unblocked, all 10% or 10.0s. In 2 of my enclosures, my BDs have access at the Basking spot to the bulb of 8"-10" or less. I replace them yearly. The other 2 enclosures, my BDs can only get to 10"-12" from the unfiltered Bulbs. I replace them every 9-10 months. I have used this replacement scheduling for many years without issue. -its great thats worked for your BD's with no problems! I'm glad we are similar in the fact that my BD and 2 of yours were deprived of UV for a large portion of their lives so i trust your experience and i can apply it to mine. Its almost like you are me in the future! and have gone through everything i'm likely to go through when it comes to individual case studies and husbandry tweaking :) I didn't want the UV to weaken and me have no idea and Willow fall ill, i feel confident now thank you for responding!