• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

repeatedly puffing out beard?

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
now I don't know if this means anything, but i just looked over at lilies cage, and she was sitting on top of her perch and puffing up her beard repeatedly and kinda squirming a little, she is acting normal, but is this going to be a problem? if so, I want to address it before it turns into one.

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
Mine did this right before shedding. Probably to stretch out and break open the old skin. Eye-bulging/bugging out is another thing you might see, as well.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
both of my kids do this - the male more so. he will do it for seemingly no reason. just sitting there flexing his muscles, so to speak !!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep they will do the beard stretches to stretch the skin in prep for a shed, or first thing in the am while waking up, or in response to another dragon or reflection...

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
hi, I have another question, lily has some dark marks under her eyes, they are not too noticeable, but when she closes her eyes you can see what looks like bags when you don't get enough sleep, is this the cause? or is she sick, I'm very cautious as I want her to live as long as possible.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
both of mine have those, also - and they are quite healthy !!

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
hi, I have another question, lily has some dark marks under her eyes, they are not too noticeable, but when she closes her eyes you can see what looks like bags when you don't get enough sleep, is this the cause? or is she sick, I'm very cautious as I want her to live as long as possible.

can we get a pic? this can be nothing or it can be :

Droopy Eyes

Droopy eyes is when one or both of your bearded dragon's eyes seem to droop (similar to the way a bloodhound's eyes normally look). Droopy eyes can be caused by kidney issues and if you suspect your dragon's eyes to be droopy you should consult a vet. If you suspect your bearded dragon's eyes are swollen from parasites or an infection, you should see a vet because lack of treatment can cause blindness and other permanent eye issues in your bearded dragon.
E1Wj536.jpg

Source:http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-health.php"

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
can we get a pic? this can be nothing or it can be :

Droopy Eyes

Droopy eyes is when one or both of your bearded dragon's eyes seem to droop (similar to the way a bloodhound's eyes normally look). Droopy eyes can be caused by kidney issues and if you suspect your dragon's eyes to be droopy you should consult a vet. If you suspect your bearded dragon's eyes are swollen from parasites or an infection, you should see a vet because lack of treatment can cause blindness and other permanent eye issues in your bearded dragon.
E1Wj536.jpg

Source:http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-health.php"

no her eyes look fine, but when she closes them she has just a tad bit of a darker shade than her skin under her eyes.
she is still acting fine, I think it's nothing.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's normal. The skin under their eyes is thin so it looks darker. Kinda like the skin under our eyes is real thin and we get dark circles under them.

Latest posts