• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Removing his beloved hammock - okay?

BipedalApe

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’ve had my dragon for two weeks and he’s been spending the majority of his time on his hammock and even sleeps there. He loves it so much that he’s rarely basking.
4x2x2 enclosure with slate tiles, Arcadia T5, hot side: ~97F, cool side: ~78F. His hammock is on his cool side.

Do you think it would be an okay idea if I removed his hammock to encourage more basking?

Attachments

• 3DF83F51-D762-4D57-9F1B-64838CE4AADB.jpeg
    3DF83F51-D762-4D57-9F1B-64838CE4AADB.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 49

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I’ve had my dragon for two weeks and he’s been spending the majority of his time on his hammock and even sleeps there. He loves it so much that he’s rarely basking.
4x2x2 enclosure with slate tiles, Arcadia T5, hot side: ~97F, cool side: ~78F. His hammock is on his cool side.

Do you think it would be an okay idea if I removed his hammock to encourage more basking?
place the hammock in the basking area as his basking spot; its simple and the logs next to it so the entire right side is basking area.

BipedalApe

Bearded Dragon Egg
i don’t think I can hang the hammock where it won’t be too hot/too close to the uvb bulb.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i don’t think I can hang the hammock where it won’t be too hot/too close to the uvb bulb.
A UVB does not emit heat; but he should be 8-10 Inches away from it at least. Do u have the UVB Reptisun 10.0 T5 or? And is it on the top of the mesh screen or inside the tank? Is your tank at least 24 inches tall or 18inches? Mine basks on it all day and when he wants less heat he goes next to it on the floor ona. Padded blanket and stuffed animal which she loves both of mine are spoiled. He will be bummed without his hammock. If he’s not basking there’s a huge issue. Temp is too hot. Do u have a digital themometer & Hygometer; those are the only accurate ones. If he’s an adult temp in hot side should be 95-100; do 97-98 to be safe. If he’s 4mnths or younger do 105. But watch out in the summer depending on your house temp it could rise to 108-111 so u have to raise the heat lamp or lower the basking platform or remove it and let him lay on a fluffy blanket with a small stuffed donut animal to raise his front legs and head on to bask. U need the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVb and the ZooMed basking bulb for heat. What watts do u have for the heat lamp if it’s a 40 gallon tank go with 100 or 75watts.

Attachments

• C35D4837-A266-4BE2-8F1A-6235AF789ACF.jpeg
    C35D4837-A266-4BE2-8F1A-6235AF789ACF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48

Latest posts