• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

removing crickets

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
I've recently decided to feed my beardie in a separate area from her tank b/c I can't seem to catch the crickets she/he doesn't eat and I know it's not good to leave them in there. But, for now, does anyone have any idea of how to get the crickets out of the tank? I've tried catching them by hand, but they hop around too much. Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Alisha OK

Juvenile Dragon
i try to spook them into a small ziplock container or ziplock bag! it sounds hard, but once you do it 3 or 4 times its real easy!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They are fairly easily herded into a papertowel roll tube. Bring it near them & they will generally crawl right into the dark hole, then you can just shake them out in the bin.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I have a suggestion! Something that works for me...If you buy a Cricket Keeper they come with two black tubes for the crickets to climb up in to make it easier to hide and to feed your dragon. If a cricket is hopping around you just place the tube over the cricket and it will probably climb up the tube and then you can just put the cap on the end of the tube and remove it! Hope I helped!

Scottio

Hatchling Dragon
Theres nothing worse!! Especially if there is a place for a noisy one to hide! If you've not fed your beardie yet, mine happily eats ones that have had a very humane pat on the head and are slightly not moving anymore ;)!

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
They are the monsters of the world, i have mine in a cricket keeper and it has 2-tubes and then today i bought a tupper ware box and in that they go. If they survive the night i will try to drill small holes in the container and as Germ; said they best way to herd the suckers in is with a toliet paper holder and i tape one end, so once i catch the monsters, they can't get out because you place your hand [if you can stand them] and tape the other end and they go no where.Try to feed only what your baby will eat in a few minutes.and presto monsters all gone. Hope this helps you some-river

Scottio

Hatchling Dragon
I didn't even think of the method I use for feeding, it makes them it a bit easier, especially if your dragon is in a lazy mood and refuses to run around for their food.

Take the egg box that the crickets are stuck to (Or the tubes that come in keepers), hold it over a large tuppawear box with a lid (Removing the lid first) and knock as many as you need into the tub.

Once they are in there, calcium/multivitamin/whatever you need to do. Pop the lid on and give them a good ole shake.

Not only will this get them a nice good coating, it also stuns them, the more you shake, the less alive they become but trust me, no matter how hard you shake, you'll struggle to kill them. They may seem dead for 10 minutes but once thats up they are off jumping around. I've seen them struggle around with one leg before.

If your beardie eats them, once their done you will have a neat pile for next time! pop them back in a seperate box (to your keeper/none dusted crickets) for the next meal of the day!

Hope it helps :) x

Latest posts