• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reintroduction w/ pics

mama

Hatchling Dragon
Hello!!

Well I FINALLY have a BD. I was planning on an adult, but my husband wanted one from a young age, he won ;-)

Today we brought home Wharf, he is about 4 wks and 3 inches long. (kind of nervous with how young he is).

So far he seems to be doing well. Ate 4-5 crickets (1 from my fingers) just a little bit ago. I had purchased a 50 gal tank so I it sectioned off to be smaller. Got all the lights/heat set up yesterday and basking spot measures around 100 (digital therm w/ probe). For UV I have reptisun 10.0

I am very nervous having one so young, but I've been doing as much research as possible and specifically from this site :)

th_Wharf4weeks002.jpg

th_Wharf4weeks001.jpg

th_Wharf4weeks003.jpg

mama

Hatchling Dragon
He is 3 inches.

Somehow my husband is the one that gets to name anything that comes into our house. Yes, he did get it from Star Trek (which I've never seen him watch in 4 years) go figure :)

Pat B

Super Moderator
Good site for information. Ask anything about your beardie and someone will answer for you. Congrats on your Wharf!!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup, very young & fragile. I really wish these breeders would still use the old rule of thumb that used to be the standard, 6" or 6 weeks, before they were rehomed or sold, to be assured of acquiring a healthy one. Even in the pet stores, you never used to see a BD under 6". But all that has changed since everyone & their dog has started breeding & swamped the market with these little ones because they come to the realization just what it cost to feed a full clutch of the hungry little buggers & boot them out much too soon.

Congrats on the new addition, wish you many Happy, Healthy years together.
icon_thumright-1.gif

mama

Hatchling Dragon
So I guess I misspelled the name, it's supposed to be Worf. :) I am very in love he is such a cutie & so far is doing really good. Today at lunch I went home and put him in a bin with some crickets and then we went outside and he had his own little picnic. :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is generally better for a stress free acclimation period, to keep handling minimal for the first week to 10 days for any BD & especially for one as small & fragile as yours.

mama

Hatchling Dragon
It is generally better for a stress free acclimation period, to keep handling minimal for the first week to 10 days for any BD & especially for one as small & fragile as yours.

Thank you Germ! I wasn't sure if putting him in a seperate bin/tank for feeding would be too much handling or not. I will cool it :) I was more focused on knowing how much he was eating.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't feed in a separate enclosure for the first while. You should give it a chance to get to know it's home, get comfy in it & get to know you\humans as it's food source & not a threat, everything is new to it. Handling and moving around, keeps changing it's environment, can be quite stressful for it, particularly introducing it to the great outdoors so young. They seem to have an instinctual fear of things from above hardwired into them, to help protect from & be aware of predatory birds in the wild. Just a heads up, that you should consider. I know it's hard to be a new owner & not handle it for the first while, but it is really in the best interest of the animals health & wellbeing.

Good Luck

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
nice little guy, reminds me of Kyuubi at that size.

also, the six week rule cant work so much anmore due to the improper care breeders and pet stores. the tanks they kee them in are too small, the lighting is not hot enough, not enough food and just plane stupid living situations. all this piled on top of them makes it so they grow very slow while young, so even a two month old may be as small as a month old, this is what i believe happened to mine.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What I meant is, that the Store would not even get them until they were 6" or 6 weeks because the breeders used to keep them that long before selling them.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
What I meant is, that the Store would not even get them until they were 6" or 6 weeks because the breeders used to keep them that long before selling them.
That's sure not what goes on anymore! Usually they tell you to bring them in after their first shed.

Latest posts