• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Regurgitation

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
Hey There,

I have found this week two large regurgitations of black soldier larvae in my beardies enclousure. The reason I say regurgitate is because she over ate a lot!!! and when it came up they were pretty much looking the same (30 mins later). The amount was actually larger than my beardie. About 3 heaped tablespoons full. My beardie is around 7 mo.

Is this just overfeeding or should I be more worried?

yfandes5_

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would say over feeding. If the emesis was bigger than the dragon, that’s a good clue! Dragons less than a year old are stupid when it comes to food. They have a biological drive to eat as much food as they can find in order to grow to adult size ASAP. This makes them less vulnerable to predators. Sometime around 1’yr or so, they settle down & the drive to eat, eat, eat becomes less.
Suggestions: don’t feed in a bowl or off the tongs. Spread the food around his enclosure so he has to hunt for his food as he would in the wild. Don’t feed him more than about 1/3 the size of his head. After 10 mins, remove all the bugs that are left. Are you offering salad on a daily basis? If not, it would be good to do that. He is nearing the point where his metabolism will change & he will need to eat more salad than bugs. Babies fed exclusively on bugs often are very resistant to salad. They say “we don’t likes wabbit food - does I wook wike a wabbit to u?” seriously - they prefer bugs. Bugs have fat in them & they run. Salad does neither.
Make sure your UVB & basking lights are adequate (see many posts here Re: best uvb & basking lights) & he has a proper temperature gradient in his enclosure. You can also try hiding the soldier worms in his salad bowl. Under the salad. That will encourage salad eating & make him look for the larvae so he doesn’t eat a whole bunch at once.
If these suggestions Don’t work, I would head to the vet. Hope he responds!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey There,

I have found this week two large regurgitations of black soldier larvae in my beardies enclousure. The reason I say regurgitate is because she over ate a lot!!! and when it came up they were pretty much looking the same (30 mins later). The amount was actually larger than my beardie. About 3 heaped tablespoons full. My beardie is around 7 mo.

Is this just overfeeding or should I be more worried?
He probably ate them to fast -- please feed on top of his salads and do not dust them - feed only like 15-20 at a time and keep adding to the bowl - what are his basking temps? They need to be 105-110 for a baby 95-100 for a juvie/ adult dragon and that needs to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons you want surface temps w/ the probe placed on the basking spot for 10 min or so ---

Latest posts