• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red spots under scales?

Princessbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey,
just wondered if anyone might have a clue what this is.
So I got my beardie a few days ago and it has these red spots under its scales. My first thought was mites so I took the little one out and cleaned her viv out completely disinfecting everything, including bowls. I have read a few threads and they say bathe the beardie so I did. After 15 mins some of the red dots came off and my little one looked really happy having a soak! I tried looking at them but that are so small and didn't move.
I'm going to the store tomorrow to get reptile mite spray (because if it isn't mites then it's good to have for the future). I'm really worried as everything is new not just the viv but me to this whole situation!
My beardie seems really happy is eating well and loves the affection I give it. It isn't scratching at all as some symptoms say.
The only thing I should meantion is it was with other dragons at the store.
Have I done the right thing by cleaning everything including the dragon?
Also I hate saying it for my little one but I haven't got a name for it yet and I don't know the gender haha
Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Jack Reeman

Hatchling Dragon
Can you possibly put a picture up so we can take a look? Doesn't sound like something I have seen before.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Princessbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey I took some photos they are a little blurry but I put an arrow on one of them to show you. It has them on its belly, in the joints on its back and under its eye
IMG_20160626_2149098_rewind.jpg

Just under the arm.
IMG_20160626_2149222_rewind.jpg
Under the belly and back leg
IMG_20160626_2144137_rewind.jpg

Under the eye and around
IMG_20160626_2147277_rewind.jpg

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey,
just wondered if anyone might have a clue what this is.
So I got my beardie a few days ago and it has these red spots under its scales. My first thought was mites so I took the little one out and cleaned her viv out completely disinfecting everything, including bowls. I have read a few threads and they say bathe the beardie so I did. After 15 mins some of the red dots came off and my little one looked really happy having a soak! I tried looking at them but that are so small and didn't move.
I'm going to the store tomorrow to get reptile mite spray (because if it isn't mites then it's good to have for the future). I'm really worried as everything is new not just the viv but me to this whole situation!
My beardie seems really happy is eating well and loves the affection I give it. It isn't scratching at all as some symptoms say.
The only thing I should meantion is it was with other dragons at the store.
Have I done the right thing by cleaning everything including the dragon?
Also I hate saying it for my little one but I haven't got a name for it yet and I don't know the gender haha
Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Can I ask some questions… what store did you buy her from, how many other dragons was she (guessing on the gender) housed with, what are you feeding her, are you using sand in her viv? Do you know how old? Are you taking her to the vet for a new pet check up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princessbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Since I am uk, it was pets at home where I got her from, she was in a viv with one other but has been in there for 3 months. She's about 5-6 months old. She had a new pet check up as soon as I got her. After doing some research it is mites but ones that tend to live in wood.
She was on sand at the store so I put that on yesterday but I wasn't comfortable with it as I have a fear of impaction so got rid of it for paper towels.
She is on fresh veg (rocket basil etc) and 4th moult hoppers as she won't eat crickets (fussy is what the guy at the store called her) I check her temps every hour I'm at home not at work.
Since posting this I have seen a lack of the red dots with only a few left! Maybe I did good?
Oh also she shed a week or 2 ago and is just peeling off the last bits.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sounds like you are doing very good. Everything is in order. Except mites. If you have any wood you need to soak it in the cleaner. She sounds healthy other than those mites. But the fact that you came here so fast asking for help shows you are a good mummy!! [emoji4]

I would stay away from sand too! Good move!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you! That means a lot to me as I have never had a beardie before closest I have is an Axolotl and she is spoiled.
The only product on the market that I can get quickly is this
http://www.petscorner.co.uk/beaphar-reptile-insect-spray-50ml
I live opposite a vets and pet center.
How often would you think I should bathe her?

Sorry I had company over. I know you are probably in bed as the time difference has you at around 2:30am. What I know about mites is betadine works best. It also helps with the actual bites on the beardie. If you use that it takes about 3 days of baths and cleaning scrubbing her viv. I'm not sure on the recommendations of that product as I've not seen it before. My best friend lives in Basingstoke I'm in America. I can talk with her tomorrow after I wake up and she what she says.

Sending you lots of well wishes. Keep us posted on her progress, mummy!!

Princessbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's okay! I was asleep and I imagine you are now too!
Checked on him this morning still some mites so I'm going to go get the bug stuff then bathe him and then spray.
Betadine? I have heard of that may look into it if this hasn't sorted it out!
Okay awesome thank you for helping me out loads!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm not really convinced that they are mites. You're pictures aren't the best but Hdrydr31 is right the last photo is the femoral pores, those are normal. The only picture I see any red spots on is the side and that could be damaged scales from rubbing on something. I agree take everything out of the tank, especially the sand and disinfect it real good but I would have a vet take a look at your beardie before you go treating it for something. Mites will move around, they won't stay in one spot and if it was wood mites you would see them crawling around the tank too.

Princessbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I took Finn to the vets today, a reptile vet took a look and said they are mites, she picked one off of Finn and it started moving a little and had little legs.. yucky! The good news is the stuff I used, zoo med is working really Well and another dose tomorrow and they should be all dead. She also said that when he sheds next (not sure when that will be) all the left over dead ones will come out with the shedding.
I really hope everything will be okay, he seems to have picked up in himself a little too and is far more active

Princessbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
That was very useful! Especially the cat collar! He's having a soak at the moment and the dead ones are falling off. I have also bought betadine. The enclosure has been treated and washed out everyday and it seems to be doing the trick, one thing is it says mite off doesn't work but it has for me!

Latest posts