• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

recommendations on inside of tank

Beardiesrock84

Hatchling Dragon
Good Idea...I'll have to go ask... I'm excited to get him the most amazing beardie home :) I just want him comfy and happy in the place he spends the most time. How deep should the dig spots usually be? I don't want to deep but maybe enough to just cover his back when he's laying down?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL - do you really think the sand is going to stay in the 'Dig Spots'. It will soon be all over the enclosure, making it always look dirty, most find that it's either all sand or no sand.

Kashiya

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have 12"-12" tile along the front length wise and the space left in the back is sand and only as deep as the tile. ( My tank is 36"-18"-18"). As for mess it is easy to bush the sand back with your hand. I put paper towel down first so the tile doesn't scratch the glass. :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you are going to use sand, 2"- 6" variance, so it has some dig room. The 1/4" to 3/8" height of the tile only provides enough sand to make a mess. ;)

Kashiya

Bearded Dragon Egg
My guy doesn't really dig he likes wiggle around in it like a snake as for mess we just brush sand back everyday takes like 2 sec no mess :) we spoil him too though and keep his pen very clean

Vincent

Hatchling Dragon
looks great!! this is a good example of a happy dragon on the right path.

now this is what you call a healthy happy dragons.

534098_563105777049135_2059355399_n.jpg
[/quote]

Beardiesrock84

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks :) He seems very happy :) he scratches on the glass to get my attention to get him out and hold him and he's gotten in the habit of crawling up on my shoulder and thats where he will stay :) When I get paid I'm going to go get some tile and sand, the liner is ok, but its hard to keep the poo off and he can't dig so I feel bad :(

Beardiesrock84

Hatchling Dragon
I got Gordo a new substrate today :) its crushed very finely walnuts.... its really fine, I think he loves it, hes already made a hole for him to sleep in in it :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Crushed Walnut shell is a very dangerous substrate for BDs. Here is my favorite quote on the subject:
Crushed walnut shell is dangerous and should only be used to clean up oil spills. This substrate is NOT digestable and if too much of it is eaten it will cause impaction. I have seen this occur first hand with reptiles ranging from lizards to tortoise. Stay away from this product please.
- Jeremiah "Podunk" Jaeger
Here is also a Graphic visual of the results of ground\crushed walnut shell as a substrate.
http://mrskingsbioweb.com/beardeddragngrossanatomy.htm

Beardiesrock84

Hatchling Dragon
Oh wow, I didn't know that :( It was really really finely crushed, almost like sand, and it was walnut so I thought it would be ok, I guess not :( I only have it on one side, so he can burrow in it. And it was cheaper. I guess I will do the fine play sand as recommended before. I certainly do not want him getting impacted. That would be HORRIBLE!!! Thank you for all your info, its very helpful and I'm learning things I never knew with my last beardie.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Play sand is cheap. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and make sure to shift it when you get home. I used a 50 lb bag and it was plenty for my 40 gal tank. I used tile for a while and switched to sand and Spike loves it. They like to dig. This is the best forum on the internet for information and please do not listen to what pet stores have to say about beardie dragon care....as I have said before....they don't know squat!! :cool:

Latest posts