• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Recommendations for breeders?

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
More questions on a different topic. Hope it's not getting annoying. :eek:

Been looking around at a lot of different breeder sites. I thought I found one that was good and reputable, with a decent price, but some flags went off when I got a reply from the email I sent.

I'm probably just going to shop local now, even though I really wanted to do what I feel is right and go through a breeder. I hope you guys can recommend some good breeders and change my mind though. Today I plan on picking up all the equipment I need, so I still have a bit of time while I play with temps (hey maybe even post a pic to get feedback from you guys too). So yeah, help. :D

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
You do have to be really careful where you get your baby from. I got mine from a local breeder and it turns out he has a slight anatomical abnormality that was not noticeable when so small but has now gotten more pronounced. He also came with pin worms which I am currently treating him for. However, he has beautiful coloration and very tame with great personality. How much are you looking to spend? And are there any reptile expos in your area? I would avoid pet stores unless there is one specializing in reptiles in your area. I've never ordered by mail since I'm afraid of the stress shipping an animal can cause but many reputable (yet costly) breeders have online businesses and have amazing animals. Hope this helps!

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
I was looking to spend between $50 - $100, not including shipping. I've contacted 2 local breeders so hopefully something good will come of that. And yeah there is a reptile expo coming up in November but didn't want to rely on that because I don't know what to expect (plus lets be honest, I'm getting impatient). :)

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
You should be able to get a quality one for that price. Be sure to ask to see the set up and the breeding pair if available so you have an idea of what they will look like when full grown. Baby dragons should be active and attentive. If you see more than a few animals with tail nips or missing toes and eyes closed say no to the whole lot because they are obviously stressed animals and are not being kept well. Ask the breeder a lot of questions and make sure they know their stuff. DO NOT take home a beardie that looks sick because you want to save it (as tempting as it is) it only allows poor breeders to continue providing sub-par care to the animals and should not be encouraged. It will run you tons of money in vet bills and likely perish due to its small size. Can't wait to see pics of the baby you choose!

Kalypso

Hatchling Dragon
I want to chime in here and see if I can help you out. I am new to beardies, but not new to the hobby itself. Anyhow, here is a site that does a comparison every year of well known reptile breeders.
http://www.reptilewebsitereviews.com/

On there you will see http://lllreptile.com/
I have to be honest, that is my FAVORITE place to get my supplies, and I have ordered herps from them and have never been disappointed. Their prices are amazing, and their customer service could not get any better. I have a baby red beardie coming from them via fed ex tomorrow morning actually. I will start a thread, and post pics as well. If I am not mistaken, they have a few different morphs right now.

If you don't see what you want with them, I would try out http://www.a1reptiles.net/bearded-dragons-for-sale.html
After all of my research, they come highly recommended, and have great prices, and LOTS of dragons to choose from.

Others I found were: http://www.dragonfortress.com/site/pages/availablebearded.php
http://jelasphatphibs.com/store/#ecwid:category=930168&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal <<< spoke highly of as well

I hope this helps you!

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Wow! Thank you! I checked this website after reading a post you made about ordering a dragon from there but didn't really see a good selection. Now though, it looks like they have some hypos and leatherbacks. Price looks good and shipping rate is awesome. PLEASE tell me how it went when you get your beardie, and how he looks etc.

I also talk to a guy that owns a small pet store nearby. He's getting some in later this week, and I trust him because he knows his stuff. It's getting warmer! :D

Kalypso

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah, lllreptile is constantly updating their selection, so most of the time when you look they have new things. They also sell out quickly. I got lucky and got the last red beardie LOL! I'm glad too because I love the reds, and the price was phenomenal.

I will DEFINITELY be posting tomorrow when he/she arrives. I made a new thread in the general discussion area called "Kalypso arrives in the morning" or some junk like that :p I think I will do an unboxing vid too. :)

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
AUGIE: Congrats on your new selection baby and you will find the perfect BD for you. I guess it's like any other animal, make sure eyes are clear, body, and ask the shop to see the baby eat and make sure baby is very active. I am new to dragons and this forum-and i bought mine from a shop held him walked around with him for awhile, and home he came-after seeing him eat and asking questions. Unfortuntately the shops don't feed enough-thats up to us when we get them home.First reptile for me ever. And i purchased a gecko first for my grandaughter, and the next day i purchased my Beardie; "LIL DUDE" name for now-Good luck with your selection of your baby and where ever you buy don't really matter-it's his care you give to him when he's home with you.Hope this helps you a little in your search-river

Latest posts