• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ranting and Raving

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've been shipping reptiles for a bunch of years. Different routes have been tried, some good and some bad. But I've got a serious beef with the shipping companies.

We're required to use special boxes containing protective styrofoam insulation, deli cups with holes, tape across the lids, heat or cold packs, and filler material to secure the container for the protection of our animals during shipping. We're required to indicate "This side UP" on the box and Fragile on all sides. This is to protect our animals, as well as the shipping personell.

So can someone explain to me how the last 4 out of 5 boxes I've recieved have been partially crushed and upside down?!?!?!!!!! Do you not have to pass at least the 4th grade for those jobs? Surely they were spelling FRAGILE by then!

Sorry if this offended anyone.......it's not as if the "insurance" doesn't protect our financial interest......it's just a matter of principle to me. That is a living thing inside those boxes!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh That's just horrible ! perhaps we should mention a prehire screening test for basic literacy to these companies.... not just the drug test.
Janie.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i feel your pain Gina. We can write anything we want as a warning or request for being careful and no matter what at the end of the day they still toss sling kick and throw boxes at shipping companies.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is horrible! Honestly, I have mixed feelings about mail order animals for this reason. Those poor little creatures.

I know that I've noticed more banged up boxes of inanimate stuff. Funny, I'm a regular online shopper (don't have the time to go to the stores). My UPS guy knows us. He was concerned when I didn't have any delivery for a bit. So, when the box is damaged, he does not ring the doorbell, but when the box is fine, ring, ring, ring....I don't get it.

I recently had a highchair lost at UPS. A highchair! It never showed up....

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Oh That's just horrible ! perhaps we should mention a prehire screening test for basic literacy to these companies.... not just the drug test.
Janie.

and by the way a drug test is only required at hiring. they do not do random ones for loaders/unloaders unless given reason to. The drivers get them but they have the least handson with our packages.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee said:
That is horrible! Honestly, I have mixed feelings about mail order animals for this reason. Those poor little creatures.

I know that I've noticed more banged up boxes of inanimate stuff. Funny, I'm a regular online shopper (don't have the time to go to the stores). My UPS guy knows us. He was concerned when I didn't have any delivery for a bit. So, when the box is damaged, he does not ring the doorbell, but when the box is fine, ring, ring, ring....I don't get it.

I recently had a highchair lost at UPS. A highchair! It never showed up....

my Fedex guy has come to kinda be a friend of mine lol. If im home for a delivery he waits for me to open the package and make sure everything is good to go lol. Damn rock is awesome (thats his nickname i have no clue what his real name is lmao)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Unfortunately that Fed Ex guy sees your pkg as he gets out of his truck and brings it to your door. 10-15 minutes tops. Curiousity for what's inside is what most likely keeps him standing there. Not to indicate that I do not think there are careful delivery persons out there, I do. Just very few of them.

I have a friend that raises and sells champion schnauzers and yorkies. she ships them all over the US. Those dogs are handled much differently than our animals. Basically like they're glass, or some rare artifact that can't even take the slightest tap upon the crate. So what exactly is the difference? Do the loading personell just have the frame of mind that "All packages must be insured and if they're not, buyer beware"? Or is it "It's not mine, who cares"? Either way, I really wish there was a way to do this with a company that actually showed a little concern about our packages.................well actually..........with Renee's post.........ANY packages.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow, that is impressive. Another rant we can start is the lack of customer service today. When I started working (hostess at Chi-Chi's...lol), we were trained, the customer is always right. Nowadays, you have to fight for a coupon to be accepted.

Alirght, I'll stop running away with the true topic here.

Sorry, ladyknight. I'm chatty today.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hey, i'm in total agreement. I think the basic bottom line issue here is the moral breakdown of society. Where children scream at, and curse at their parents, teachers, adults, where the customer takes a back seat to the "check" being paid, where there are always HIDDEN charges in everything you do. Seems like there's no straight forward answers anywhere anymore.
I've asked the shipping companies how to deal with this repeated problem time and time again. Their response is.........."Was the package insured?" Does that matter honestly? I choose what i buy because i want it in my collection. Not some duplicate of it. Not second choice. I always assume my customer base is the same way, and they deserve to have that without fail, everytime.

This just makes me so angry because they KNOW their are LIVE ANIMALS in the box.........yet they simply don't care about the danger they put it in. Their acceptable place in society is dressed up in a 3 piece suit on some Gieco commercial I guess. *grumble grumble*

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the worst thing is its not like they do not know there is a living creature in the box (at least mine)
In very large very black print (easily read on a white box) it states on all four sides "LIVE HARMLESS REPTILE" along with fragile and this side up and keep out of extreme hot or cold
so im confused as to why i write all this crap on the box and no one pays attention to it. Its sad. I know a few people whom have watched a delivery man get out of his truck and walk up the sidewalk spinning the box around in his hand. one delivery man actually lost his job as he was filmed kicked a package down the sidewalk to a house (a water dragon was in said box that was dead upon arrival) <<<thats why i use fedex instead of UPS
Though fedex has its share of problems im sure. I have just been lucky so far.

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My driveway is 3 feet below my front lawn with a retaining wall..so from lawn you walk up 2 steps, landing then 5 steps. I've watched the UPS driver climb out of his truck onto my front lawn and THROW the package about 25 feet up onto the porch from where he was standing.

They ALL s*ck!!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Erskinelake said:
My driveway is 3 feet below my front lawn with a retaining wall..so from lawn you walk up 2 steps, landing then 5 steps. I've watched the UPS driver climb out of his truck onto my front lawn and THROW the package about 25 feet up onto the porch from where he was standing.

They ALL s*ck!!

at that point my kinder gentler side would have been gone and i would have thrown that ups driver into the side of his truck

you know stories like this help my solidify the fact that i just dont like the majority of people lol.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Erskinelake said:

They ALL s*ck!!

At that point, my slightly unsociable side would require being held back along with the big stick i keep behind the door.
If he's that lazy............he needs a desk job. But wait............we're talking something over 4th grade education now.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
the worst thing is its not like they do not know there is a living creature in the box (at least mine)
In very large very black print (easily read on a white box) it states on all four sides "LIVE HARMLESS REPTILE" along with fragile and this side up and keep out of extreme hot or cold
so im confused as to why i write all this crap on the box and no one pays attention to it. Its sad. I know a few people whom have watched a delivery man get out of his truck and walk up the sidewalk spinning the box around in his hand. one delivery man actually lost his job as he was filmed kicked a package down the sidewalk to a house (a water dragon was in said box that was dead upon arrival) <<<thats why i use fedex instead of UPS
Though fedex has its share of problems im sure. I have just been lucky so far.

OMG! I at a loss for words. Unbelievable. I guess they treat packages without realizes what is in them. Hard to fathom it.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
See that's what a shot gun filled with salt pellets are good for ... oops did I say that out loud ? ..Okay, I win the mega millions, and personally drive each delivery from/to you all in my new, tricked out Winne ;) Guaranteed happy babies ;)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just got off the phone with the shipper. They want to know if i have PROOF?!?!?

No............seriously........................I just talk to hear the sound of my voice!!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'll mail you back one of my extra cast iron fry pans... I can promise they make a right smart point ;)
Janie.

Michele654

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Here in Canada we can write a fomal complaint to the Post Master General. Now sure how much good that will do you but I know it works for Medical facilities when they ***** at em. Might for for you if you contact the shipping company.

Latest posts