• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions while getting everything ready

djonesthrowingstones

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I am getting everything ready to get a bearded. I have a chameleon and some supplies already.
For basking, I have a double dome I’m not using now and a CHE. My idea was to get a lower wattage basking light like maybe 75-100. And then have the CHE on a temp dimmer. The cheaper one I saw on Amazon, the reviews said it would turn all the way off when it got the the temp and then full blast when it needed to and not stay like a steady dimness to keep the temp level. I work 7:30-5:30 and I want to make sure that the temp stays level with the light still on.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! I am getting everything ready to get a bearded. I have a chameleon and some supplies already.
For basking, I have a double dome I’m not using now and a CHE. My idea was to get a lower wattage basking light like maybe 75-100. And then have the CHE on a temp dimmer. The cheaper one I saw on Amazon, the reviews said it would turn all the way off when it got the the temp and then full blast when it needed to and not stay like a steady dimness to keep the temp level. I work 7:30-5:30 and I want to make sure that the temp stays level with the light still on.
The most important things in the tank are your surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- babies 105-110- 6 months and up 95-100 --- a long tube fixture NO coils -- there are 3 that are recommended -- I can post links for you if you need them -- the CHE is good for night time temps dropping below 65 - you need a solid clear bright white basking bulb - this is imperative --- they provide UVA --- CHE's do not -- you want 3 temps in the tank --- surface basking temps -- ambient temp on hot side around 100 or less -- middle of tank 90's and cool side 80'ish or so -- you can use analogs to get ambient but you need the digital probe for surface basking temps

djonesthrowingstones

Bearded Dragon Egg
The most important things in the tank are your surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- babies 105-110- 6 months and up 95-100 --- a long tube fixture NO coils -- there are 3 that are recommended -- I can post links for you if you need them -- the CHE is good for night time temps dropping below 65 - you need a solid clear bright white basking bulb - this is imperative --- they provide UVA --- CHE's do not -- you want 3 temps in the tank --- surface basking temps -- ambient temp on hot side around 100 or less -- middle of tank 90's and cool side 80'ish or so -- you can use analogs to get ambient but you need the digital probe for surface basking temps
I would have the white light, but what if it gets too hot or not hot enough when I am not home during the day. So if I got a lower wattage that wouldn’t get too hot and then use the che as additional throughout the day to keep it hot enough. And then I would just turn it completely off at night because my house doesn’t get that cold.
Does that even make sense?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would have the white light, but what if it gets too hot or not hot enough when I am not home during the day. So if I got a lower wattage that wouldn’t get too hot and then use the che as additional throughout the day to keep it hot enough. And then I would just turn it completely off at night because my house doesn’t get that cold.
Does that even make sense?
Once you get a surface basking temp that's going to stay constant that's what the probe is for- that way you determine what wattage you need- the basking bulbs overtime get weak or burn out- those temps need to be spot checked at least once a month- lights should be shut off at night- dragons like cool and dark

djonesthrowingstones

Bearded Dragon Egg
Once you get a surface basking temp that's going to stay constant that's what the probe is for- that way you determine what wattage you need- the basking bulbs overtime get weak or burn out- those temps need to be spot checked at least once a month- lights should be shut off at night- dragons like cool and dark
Okay. I think I will get the temp squared away before I get the beardie. I have a 100w that came with my chameleon when I adopted her and I’m not using so I’ll start there. I have a Govee system already I can add onto and use for 24/7 monitoring and a heat temp gun thing.
What is everyone using for a basking platform? The ready made ones don’t seem tall enough. I have a brick/stone place in town. Is there certain material I need to get to make my own?
I ended up buying the 120gal dubia enclosure. What about shelf liner or a zen mat or something? A lot of the shelf liners I see are not wide enough, I imagine overlapping would not be ideal after a while. I see some people are using slate or tile and then I read slate floor would get too hot. I also already have luxury vinyl tile pieces I could use from my leftover house flooring. It’s textured and durable.
What about backgrounds? I read it’s suggested to be on the outside however the dubia enclosure is solid on the back. I got a background for my chameleon from Petbackdrops.com. Could I use something like that and tack it in there somehow?
Is anyone using fans for air flow? I do on my chameleon enclosure to keep from stagnant air but that is also supposed to be more humid anyway and beardies are a lot drier.

And supplements I’m confused. One group says using every feeding in the day, another says just one of the feedings in the day. I have all the supplements I need already except I think I want to get a different brand of cal+d3.

I’m sorry this is so long and I thank everyone for their patience. I want this correct as possible for success.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay. I think I will get the temp squared away before I get the beardie. I have a 100w that came with my chameleon when I adopted her and I’m not using so I’ll start there. I have a Govee system already I can add onto and use for 24/7 monitoring and a heat temp gun thing.
What is everyone using for a basking platform? The ready made ones don’t seem tall enough. I have a brick/stone place in town. Is there certain material I need to get to make my own?
I ended up buying the 120gal dubia enclosure. What about shelf liner or a zen mat or something? A lot of the shelf liners I see are not wide enough, I imagine overlapping would not be ideal after a while. I see some people are using slate or tile and then I read slate floor would get too hot. I also already have luxury vinyl tile pieces I could use from my leftover house flooring. It’s textured and durable.
What about backgrounds? I read it’s suggested to be on the outside however the dubia enclosure is solid on the back. I got a background for my chameleon from Petbackdrops.com. Could I use something like that and tack it in there somehow?
Is anyone using fans for air flow? I do on my chameleon enclosure to keep from stagnant air but that is also supposed to be more humid anyway and beardies are a lot drier.

And supplements I’m confused. One group says using every feeding in the day, another says just one of the feedings in the day. I have all the supplements I need already except I think I want to get a different brand of cal+d3.

I’m sorry this is so long and I thank everyone for their patience. I want this correct as possible for success.
I would not do a background - you can use outdoor decor but you must bake wood first- I personally use stuff from PetSmart it's a lot easier to clean- the matt I use is the zen habitats one- plus two pieces of ceramic tile running width wise in the tank-- the tile should have some texture but not coarse you don't want him slipping or getting abrasions - supplements will go by how old the dragon is - babies up to one yr calcium D 3 5 x per week once per feeding lightly coated on the insects- vitamin w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding lightly coated on the insects

Latest posts