• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions post vet visit

Teach8870

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 1.5 year old male beardie. For the past 2 weeks, he has not eaten anything or pooped. I scheduled him for a vet appointment, and here were the results:

Negative for parasites
Xrays were free of masses
Still waiting on bloodwork
They gave him an enema to poop and said he had a 2 inch urate plug, which would explain him not pooping for a while.
They started him on some injectable antibiotics for 2 weeks in case of some kind of infection.
vet said he seems a little underweight and dehydrated. He suggested I bathe him for 15-20 mins daily.

So yesterday when I brought him home, he seemed super stressed. I gave him some salad which he didn’t touch, and I bathed him for 20 minutes.

Today I have given him turnip greens, green peppers, and a couple blueberries dusted with calcium powder. He hasn’t eaten yet, and my question is what if doesn’t? How can I ensure he gets the supplements he needs if he won’t eat anything.

Also, I’m just not sure if the cause. Is his appetite gone because of the urate plug and not pooping for weeks?

I have been working on the lighting in his tank and struggling because of the summer heat. I’ve been using a laser thermometer and have his basking bulb in a dimmer so I can adjust. Can the fluctuating temps cause him issues?

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have a 1.5 year old male beardie. For the past 2 weeks, he has not eaten anything or pooped. I scheduled him for a vet appointment, and here were the results:

Negative for parasites
They gave him an enema to poop and said he had a 2 inch urate plug, which would explain him not pooping for a while.
They started him on some injectable antibiotics for 2 weeks in case of some kind of infection.
vet said he seems a little underweight and dehydrated. He suggested I bathe him for 15-20 mins daily.

So yesterday when I brought him home, he seemed super stressed. I gave him some salad which he didn’t touch, and I bathed him for 20 minutes.

Today I have given him turnip greens, green peppers, and a couple blueberries dusted with calcium powder. He hasn’t eaten yet, and my question is what if doesn’t? How can I ensure he gets the supplements he needs if he won’t eat anything.

Also, I’m just not sure if the cause. Is his appetite gone because of the urate plug and not pooping for weeks?

I have been working on the lighting in his tank and struggling because of the summer heat. I’ve been using a laser thermometer and have his basking bulb in a dimmer so I can adjust. Can the fluctuating temps cause him issues?
Sorry to hear your guy is having issues. I'm a new mommy so can't answer. Hoping experienced peeps here can help. Looks like this post happened Wednesday. Is your baby better? Eating again?

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Negative for parasites

Hello, fluctuating temperatures can stress out a bearded dragon especially if they're also going to the vet. How much are the temperatures changing? Have you told your vet about the lost in appetite? How many days has he been refusing to eat? How much weight has he lost, could I see a picture of him?

Teach8870

Bearded Dragon Egg
0432ECF1-DF0C-4168-B271-CE3D6BBD2508.jpeg
For about 3 weeks he has hardly eaten. Since his vet appointment on Tuesday, he has eaten maybe a bug or 2 each day and won’t touch his veggies. When taken to the vet, I told him that he had not eaten in 2 weeks.
I setup a thermostat and have his temperatures regulated at 94-104 in basking area and 80 on the cool side. I have no way to weigh him right now, but I’m going to purchase a kitchen scale tomorrow and try that.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
View attachment 22814For about 3 weeks he has hardly eaten. Since his vet appointment on Tuesday, he has eaten maybe a bug or 2 each day and won’t touch his veggies. When taken to the vet, I told him that he had not eaten in 2 weeks.
I setup a thermostat and have his temperatures regulated at 94-104 in basking area and 80 on the cool side. I have no way to weigh him right now, but I’m going to purchase a kitchen scale tomorrow and try that.
What did the vet say about him not eating? Also from the looks of it, it seems that he is shedding, which can also lead to loss of appetite. So it's understandable that he is not eating. If it were me I would try syringe feeding just a little bit of food each day until he gains back his appetite.

Teach8870

Bearded Dragon Egg
The vet said it could be because the temps in my tank were too high. I had them at 105-110. This is why it dropped them to 94-104. He said he was also dehydrated. I can’t get him to drink in a bath or from a bowl of water, so I drop some on his nose with a syringe each day.
What would you recommend I feed him?

tortadon

Bearded Dragon Egg
View attachment 22814For about 3 weeks he has hardly eaten. Since his vet appointment on Tuesday, he has eaten maybe a bug or 2 each day and won’t touch his veggies. When taken to the vet, I told him that he had not eaten in 2 weeks.
Hi I have had these fellows for 20 plus years with 2 young kids on camping trips and everywhere in between. So this is something I have learned put your heat above the high point of your cage as this lets them move to or away. Also A hide point from the radiating heat. This way they can cool off when they need it.
They like it cool at night just like they were us. When they eat some warm water soon after to kick back in will help them with bowel movements. All of our bearded were excellent swimmers in the pool is safest. Since we live in the south our lakes and streams have characters that would see them as lunch.
Buy an infrared thermometer for 5 bucks and you can than tell where he likes the temps at buy where he is hangin out.
Hope this helps

Latest posts