• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions From a Brand New Owner!

Charlee Chachowski

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and new to owning a bearded dragon.
I've had my new little girl Izzy for about 4 days now and I just have a few questions because I want to make sure I'm doing everything right and taking the best care of her.
I don't think the pet store where I got her from gave me the best information either.

My first question is about the lighting set up I should have for a 40 g tank.
Right now I have a UVB light, a ceramic heater for night time, and a basking light.
However, the tank is only at about 80-85 degrees.
Given that it's almost winter time I really want to get the habitat up to the correct temperature for her.
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or could do to fix the temperature?
Her activities levels when I take her out have been kind of low but I'm not sure if that's because she's not used to a new home or if it's because she's feeling lethargic from the temperature being too low.

My second question is about diet.
Izzy is about a year old so I've been giving her some vegetables and greens each day and then some crickets every other day. Is this good for her age?
So far she's been eating pretty good, but she hasn't pooped since I've had her which worries me a little bit, although she did pee just yesterday. I gave her a bath today because I've heard that helps but still nothing.

Sorry for all the questions! I'm just stressed about getting everything right for her.
Any and all help is appreciated.
Thank you so much!

Charlee Chachowski

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome ---- first what kind of UVB do you have? Is it a coil or a tube? The lighting and basking temps in the tank are the most crucial-- so lets get this straightened out first----- the basking temps are trial and error w/ wattage of bulbs-------------- how are you taking that temp? Is it w/ a infrared heat gun or digital probe or stick ons--------------- the most accurate way is w/ the infrared heat gun bought from your local hardware store for $10-12 and or a digital probe bought from Petco or Pet smart for $5--- I recommend both - the digital for your cool side of tank --- the heat gun to get accurate basking temps of which they should be 95-105--------------- the basking temps are going to control her digestion of food and that UVB is going to control the absorption of calcium ---------------- you want to take the temp of where she sits when basking--- its good to have a piece of decor that she can sit on for different temps- also known as a gradient --- Pet Smart has nice decor thats easily cleaned for this
Next the diet is good ----- salads every day here is a nutrition website for you
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html----
Crickets every other day dusted w / calcium D3 alternating w/ vitamins - Reptivite - it does not have synthetic Vit A and has beta carotene ---
Pooping is hit and miss --- dont worry if shes not pooping every day --- just watch her poops - you want them moist and well formed --- not runny --- smelly is good --- poop driving you from the room is not --- if it gets that way its possible she has parasites along w/ diarrhea ---
Let me know what your using for a UVB and I can help you w/ that --- what kind of substrate are you using?

Right now I have a UVB coil which I know is no good, I'm changing it out today and am planning on getting the reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube light as that seems to be what most people recommend.
Is the UVB light better inside the tank or can it rest on top of the grate?
I'm thinking of getting a higher wattage for the basking light to raise the temperature during the day.

I have a digital thermometer set up on both sides of the tank.
And I have a log type decor that allows her to climb up to right under where the basking light is, which she does often, as well as a cave type decor on the cooler side.

I've been using the reptivite every other day with the crickets so I think her diet is okay.
I'll just keep my eye out for her pooping and if she doesn't soon then I'll take her to the vet just to double check that everything is okay since I just got her.

I'm using a particle type substrate because that's what the pet store recommended but I'm thinking of switching over to one of the reptile carpets which seems safer and more sanitary.

Charlee Chachowski

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay so I went to the store today and I got the reptisun t8 so I'm going to put that inside the tank.
I also got a 100 watt for the basking light so I'm hoping that's strong enough to get the temp up, I was only using a 75 watt before.
I also wanted to update that she did poop today, but it was very liquidy and looked like it had undigested food in it, which I'm hoping is from the stress of incorrect lighting/temperature plus moving to a new location and not something more serious.
Once she gets settled into her new home, then I'll take her to the vet for a check up.

Charlee Chachowski

Bearded Dragon Egg
The warmer basking temps is going to help w/ the digestion ---- the T 8 will help w/ calcium absorption --- you should notice a difference in her behavior and eating and poops---- make sure you take a basking temp and go from there ---

Thank you so much for your help!
I appreciate it a ton. :)

Matthew McCarter

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've been using the reptivite every other day with the crickets so I think her diet is okay.
I'm using a particle type substrate because that's what the pet store recommended but I'm thinking of switching over to one of the reptile carpets which seems safer and more sanitary.
Are you also dusting your insects with calcium supplements? They need calcium a few feedings each week as well.

Do replace the particle substrate, I just use paper towels but there are other options anything but sand or loose substrate, it can cause problems with there digestion if they accidentally ingest any of it.

Latest posts