• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions about probiotics

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Hi, im looking for some info on probiotics and wondering if i should use them ? My girl has coccidia and is on antibiotics . The med she is on is Sulfamethoxazol - Trimethoprim oral suspension. Shes had some diarrhea but had a normal bm (poop) yesterday. She has a very good appetite , eating her greens and crickets.
Speaking of crickets, I buy mine at Petsmart . I've heard its better to buy them from a breeder online . Dont the ones from petsmart come from breeders ? The reason I get them from the store is because i only buy about a weeks worth at a time so i dont have a ton of bugs in the house.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've heard that certain meds may require a probiotic which is a good thing to use. When Allie was on Albon, I got her some soy yogurt to use because it was harsh on her stomach and the soy yogurt made her feel a lot better. She didn't eat a lot, but she loved the soy yogurt. I used it until she was clear of parasites and done with her medicine. I even fed her the soy yogurt about a week until I was certain she had good gut flora.

I order mine online from a breeder off ebay. (They've got high reviews and are a breeder.) I think his name's ckman or something. You can get 1000 and he's good about his crickets. I had 200 die off from the last batch I had and he was going to send me 200 extra my next order. Here's the address if you're interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-Crickets-Live-hatchery-direct-any-size-/321122489106

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Noella, Ill look for the soy yogurt . I probably have to go to a health food store , i dont think they'll have it at my grocery store.
I dont know if i can handle having a thousand crix in the house . Im not a bug person ! they freak me out !! :eek:

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not a roach person, but crickets don't bother me. :D I house my 1000 in a 20 gallon tall aquarium and sometimes they do get out. And when I see them, they're always heading up the stairs back to their tank. (I've caught some and put them in small containers.)

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Roaches !!! yikes !! Lol there is no way , ever ! I dont even feed the crickets . I make my son do it . I know, im a big chicken but i dont care :D Ive also never feed her any worms and was thinking when she was better to try some. Which my son will be doing that too.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nothing wrong with buying feeders from the Pet Store, other than the price ;) . Just be sure to gutload them well for a minimum of 24 hours prior to feeding.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Yes Germ , we do gut load . Also dust with calcium . I know its more money but i just cant bare the thought of 1000's of bugs at a time . Maybe one day , but doubtful :rolleyes:

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:D LOL! 1000 bugs are a lot of bugs. It's by a miracle I managed to keep their tank clean. (I know now why they say they smell bad. A colony smells only because they're not kept clean.)

Hmm. I take about 10 crickets out of the main cricket colony and gutload them with greens 24 hours before I give them to Allie. (Allie seems to love the taste of greens on their legs.) Allie has a habit of wanting to eat out of the cricket keeper. She won't eat them in her tank or chase them.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Ryuu loves chasing them! She gets all excited when my son brings them into the room :) yea, 1000 is too much for me . baby steps foe me . haha

Latest posts