• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions about calcium dust..

gizzardsmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi my baby lizard is 6 months old and eating very well. I have talked to my breeder about calcium dust but she feels that as long as the crickets are gut-loaded they don't need to be dusted. I trust her opinion but still have doubts since he is just a baby.

I get my crickets from her as well and I gut load them at home as well. They are also eating the kale mixture. So What is your opinion? I know too much of a good thing can be harmful in this instance ;)

Thanks in advance,

Dawn and Gizmo

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey, Dawn. Welcome 2 the Forum. Gut loading the crix doesn't provide enough calcium & they should still be dusted. I may be wrong, hopefully we can get a few more opinions 2 help out.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Definately dust the feeders.

By gutloading them with calcium they get some of it but not enough, also their exoskeleton will become harder due to the calcium. It may not be noticeable by squishing them ot feeling for a difference but think of it....if they are supplemented with calcium which function is to make strong bones.....it has to go somewhere in the insect and since they dont have bones to speak of there is only 1 place to go.....the exoskeleton.

Like i said in your other post, watv=ch out for too much Kale, it binds calcium if fed too much. A little every so often is fine, but use the better greens like i mentioned in the other thread

gizzardsmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks guys. This is why I came here!! I was pretty sure that something was off but I wanted to clarify it with the "experts" ;)

I will be ordering calcium dust today!! And I will get different greens while at the grocery store as well.

Reactions: Jp

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Im not sure on the spray, never used it myself. I do know that when a calcium deficiency id present in a dragon the best way to get ample calcium into them is with liquid calcium.
But if yours is fine and eating feeders daily, dusting the feeders 5x week (1 feeding per day) is sufficient.
Do you use a multivitamin?

Strawberry

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i use dust on the crickets and spray on the fruits and veggies and it has worked out fine ;)

Strawberry

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
no, unless you dont have a UVB light. if you dont have one already, you should really get one

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A weekly dusting with a Multi-Vitamin such as Herptivite or Reptivite is recommended.

Personally, I dust all live prey that is fed with calcium, none on veggies & is unnecessary if you feed good greens, such as collard, dandelion, mustard greens, etc

gizzardsmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the info!! I M dusting crickets and feeding good green lol. He is developing well and growing like crazy. He is a little picky about his greens but usually if I add carrots he is ok. He doesn't care for mustard at all but will eat them if he has too ;)

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
don't feed carrots as a staple veggie, they have a high vitamin a level. will also create runny, smelly poo & we all kno dragon poo is already smelly as it is! haha! try dandelion, turnip & collard greens as well..if ur beardie doesn't like mustard greens so much.

Latest posts