• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

QUESTION....

C. Dixon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a bearded dragon. I got it in Oct. 2012. I think It was a few months old when I got it. The pet store told me it was a boy. I named it Buddy. ANYWAY.... fast forward to now....Buddy just started laying eggs (March 2016). This is the 3rd time in the past few months that this has happened. At what age do they start laying eggs? How often does it happen? Will she ever stop laying them? Is there anything special I need to do for her when she lays eggs? They are obviously not fertile (no male around). Please help. I'm new to this.

Attachments

• PART_1461692941887_IMG_20160426_133852822.jpg
    PART_1461692941887_IMG_20160426_133852822.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
SURPRISE !!! I really don't know much about this - a bit, but not much. When they lay, they usually do not lay all the eggs at one time - there can be several clutches (as you have found out) How long? don't know. Anything special ? - yes - she's gonna need extra calories and calcium. A lot of energy goes into production - even for infertile eggs - and the shells.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Like Canicke I don't know much about gravid females except they need extra calcium to rebuild her supply...The only way to stop them is to spay her..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
SURPRISE! There is no special age that they start laying eggs. Typically it starts after they are 18 months old. My oldest girl, who btw we named Dexter because we thought she was a boy, is 3 1/2 and she hasn't laid any eggs ever. I know a few basics about laying that might help you. You can usually tell they are getting ready to lay because they start digging around in their tank. You can also tell they have eggs by feeling them in her belly. It's easy to feel them when they pancake. You want to make a lay box. Some people use a large rubbermaid tote filled with washed children's play sand that is moist enough to hold shape when she digs to make a tunnel. Other people have put just a small lay box in the tank using some sort of box. like a smallish cat litter box. Like Canicke said, make sure to up her calcium intake after she lays eggs. Calcium rich bugs are best and you can also hard boil and egg and give her the white part.

One thing you didn't say, has she been with a male? Once she lays the eggs if they are fertile and you don't want them you need to freeze them before throwing them away. If they are infertile you want to put them in a bag and seal it and throw it away ASAP. Apparently they really start to stink.

Latest posts