• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question on my beardies scales

pure_addiction_05

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a question, on my big bearded dragon, on the underside of his chin, it looks like his scales are dying....they are turning black? Can anyone tell me what is going on???

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is called black bearding... This is an indication of displeasure, or pain.

Now, under what circumstances does this happen ?
Hope this helps.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can you post a picture so we can see better.
Is it his entire "beard" that goes black or is it kind of patchy?

pure_addiction_05

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
No, its just patchy...I know what it looks like when his beard turns black and is not happy, this is actually like certain scales are dying...I will try & get a good picture so you can see what I am talking about.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It doesn't look like it, but you are sure it isn't stuck on food or anything like that? If you are sure then I would suggest a vet appointment. It could be a virus or a fungus. Without seeing it first hand it is hard to tell.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have to agree with Lisa, sometimes food and dirt can get trapped behind the scales causing those blacks spots. This trapped food/dirt doesnt just rub off and usually comes off with the next shed. Mine has 2 of those spots at the moment, so patiently waiting for her to shed her beard.

Just watch closely and monitor changes in apperance, if they become bigger or change at all i would considder a vet visit.

Latest posts