• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about UV light

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone! I have been looking at photos of different enclosures and I've noticed the UV tube is placed inside the cage rather than on top of the screen. I have mine placed on the screen and it still seems to light up the cage, so what I was wondering is...is it okay to have it on top of the screen? And if it's supposed to go inside the cage, how do I hook it up so it stays put?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A fine Screen can block\reflect\filter as much as 40%-50% of the UVB from ever penetrating into the enclosure. So if the fixture & bulb is placed above the screen a higher output UVB Bulb must be used & the BD must have much closer access to it. Effective amounts of UVB do not radiate as far as the light does, has a very limited range. For instance, a New unfiltered (No Screen) 20W+ '10.0' or 10% UVB Bulb only has an effective distance of 20" from the center of the bulb, less as you go towards the ends. The effective range dissipates rather quickly as the bulb ages, after some time the bulb will still shed light, but no longer emit effective amounts of UVB & is why they must be regularly replaced. So all this must be taken into consideration when setting up the Basking Spot to be sure that it is close enough to the UVB bulb in order for your BD to receive any benefit from it.

Mounting inside the enclosure, provides unfiltered UVB & allows the BD to receive the full benefits of the bulb with nothing blocking\reflecting\filtering it. Minimum ranges & replacement still have to be respected but they extend further than if mounted above the screen.

Generally, if mounted above the screen, in order to receive any benefit from a 20W+ 10.0 bulb, the Basking Spot must be maximum within 8-10" from the center area of the bulb, even less if it is a very tight knit screen. Generally very little, if any, UVB will ever reach the lower areas of the enclosure, depending on how tall the enclosure is of course. If mounted inside the enclosure the max distance from the bulb to Basking Spot should be less than 10-12" from the center area of the bulb.

There are various methods to mount a tube UVB bulb inside the enclosure, depending on type of setup. A wooden sided enclosure is easy to screw a fixture in the appropriate position. For glass enclosures, a light Under the Cabinet type fixture of the old 'Bright Stick' style, can be mounted with 100% silicone, or more easily with a good quality Hot Glue.

Hope this helps.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What type of fixture do you have, a hood type fixture would be too heavy\bulky to be held in place by Hot Glue & can rarely be successfully mounted inside a glass enclosure unless it is attached or hung from the screen, which often presents it's own set of access problems.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hmm...I guess hot glue would not work for me then...I am lost now as to what to do...I don't know how to do it like the other ways you said.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's not an issue if your BD has access close enough to the bulb at the Basking Spot, just have to replace the Bulb more frequently than if it was under. Maybe post a few pics of your whole set up, showing all the aspects of the enclosure & lighting & we may be able to make some suggestions\recommendations if needed. What size enclosure do you have, what brand & strength UVB?

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Just wanted to update you all that my boyfriend helped me get the UVB tube inside the cage...it's much better now! Thanks for your advice!

Latest posts