• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about Crickets

Braxton619

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi guys I have a bearded dragon who is approximately 12-14 inches long (including tail) and it is currently in it's juvenile stage.

I been buying crickets for my bearded dragon at my local pet store and they are getting very expensive. My bearded dragon loves to eat a lot each day. Right now PetSmart has them for $0.11 each. Websites like Ghann's Cricket Farm has them for $0.03-$0.04 each. The only problem they sell them at 250 at a time.

Do you recommend buying 250 crickets at a time for one junevile dragon? It's just buying them from pet stores are getting extremely expensive. Do ya'll recommend buying them online?

Thanks!

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
YES. if your guy eats 25 crickets per day, which he should do easily, thats ten days worth and those crickets will stay alive twice that long if he doesnt.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One good option may be to raise a roach colony. Several members sell roaches and with a little plastic bin and some space in the garage, you won't have to spend much money on dragon food at all! :)

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I wonder if I am over feeding mine then. I feed Jethro a few times a day, and he can eat up to 30/50 if I let him (correct sized crickets of course. I don't think he's big enough for the really big crickets yet). I would definitely order online, it's cheaper in the long run. Premiumcrickets.com is a good place to order them. They have bulk orders available and really great prices. I have three lizards, and two that DEFINITELY love crickets, so I make sure to order plenty. I used to get them from my local pet store so I know where you're coming from as far as expenses go. The pet store may act like they're great prices and all, but when you think about it, it's really not.

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
make sure he eats his greens also check into the roaches jeff was the one that got me into dubia roaches and they have more nutrients then a cricket 1 roach = 12 crickets and they have no smell they can't climb jump or fly and most of all if they get out they die and also they don't bite on your beardie

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmm I might try that in the future but for now I'm sticking with crickets. Abby only eats crickets. I offered a couple mealworms a few times, and she turned away from them. Picky little leopard gecko >_<

socalroaches

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I use surgical gloves when dealing with my roaches thats one way to deal with them. You can also use tongs as well, just a couple of ideas.

Latest posts