• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Putting 2 disabled dragons together???

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have just been asked to take another disabled dragon...(this will make 3 now!!) I sadly have no room for anymore vivs...and wondered if it would be wise to add two severly disabled 18mth old males together?? Neither dragon is capable of normal movement, and I am aware that I would have to introduce them. This little fellow will be destroyed if I cant take him, so this is why I thought of putting 2 together! As Roo is very small for his age, and so it seems is this new Red fellow I hoped it may work. Any suggestions welcomed!!!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
honestly, he stands just as a high of a chance of being "destroyed" if you put him with another male. Regardless of their injuries or disabilities, nature will prevail. And it's in their nature for two males to fight, to the death if necessary.

i would personally set up a sterilite tub for him. this will cut down your space problem, and give him a safe place to stay. it's not as attractive as a viv.........but it serves the purpose.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm in agreement with Gina. I wouldn't put them together. Just like us, adrenaline can come into play and nature will take its course. In other words, they will find a way to fight and one will dominate. As good as your heart is, it would not be wise to house them together. In the long run, one would be destroyed.

Can you stack a viv on top of another?

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you both for your advice, in all honesty I thought that was the case, but thought Id ask ...just in case! Lol..as for stacking vivs, they are already stacked, and apart from the bathroom, all rooms contain vivs or terraniums...so i sadly have no spare space at all! I would like to have helped...but then again, I can only help so many :'(

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is sad that every animal that needs help cant be helped. But in this case i would have to tell you to move on. Even if neither animal is capable of normal movement, the mere presence in each others territory will cause undue amounts of stress and make them both much more susceptable to parasites. You have made the right decision.

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
It is sad that every animal that needs help cant be helped. But in this case i would have to tell you to move on. Even if neither animal is capable of normal movement, the mere presence in each others territory will cause undue amounts of stress and make them both much more susceptable to parasites. You have made the right decision.
Yep!! Thank you for that...as I said my sensible head already knew that, but my heart just wanted to make sure!!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pinky said:
Thank you both for your advice, in all honesty I thought that was the case, but thought Id ask ...just in case! Lol..as for stacking vivs, they are already stacked, and apart from the bathroom, all rooms contain vivs or terraniums...so i sadly have no spare space at all! I would like to have helped...but then again, I can only help so many :'(

It is a sad truth that there are so many out there in need of our help. But you can only do so much. You have to look at the quality of life you would be able to provide with bringing another home. I think you have made the right decision. And you know in your heart that you have helped out so many already.

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have to add that, although I would dearly love to help anything and everything that needs help... I understand that I cant do it all! I am extremely proud of the quality of care I give my creatures, and I am known rounds these parts for that!!! I would never jepodise any of my creatures for the sake of another needy one. I have rescues living with me now who came from cramped over crowded vivs and I have seen what can happen. I am still fairly new where beardies are concerned, so thats why I asked. At least I asked, and didn't go ahead and put 2 together (even tho my local herp shop said it should be no problem, I have since corrected him!!!!!!)

Latest posts