• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Puffing and Spit/Drool

RangotheDragonz

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my beardie has been puffing and has a big amount of spit across the edges of his mouth.
I would definitely take him to the vet, but being one problem is that I'm just a kid, I get no say in my pets health because I'm not taken seriously. I've told my parents, they just scream at how he's healthy.
If you can help me on what I can do to help him, I try my best with him.
Some info, as well, that may be useful -
Hes 10 years old
He lives in a sand substrate (I tried to change my parents mind for years now and they still don't agree to how it can harm him)
We live with two cats, they like to bang on the tank, I try to stop them as much as I can

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
im sorry to hear that that’s happening to you , if possible can you descretly tank pictures of your beardies setup ( a front overall picture, a picture of your lights , a picture of your screen top) if he has whats called a “coil uvb bulb” those can be harmful and can hurt their eyes, what kinds of food does hes get? He needs lots of vegetables at this point, if you have in your house carrot(grate it with a cheese grater) romaine lettuce (its the long leaf looking one, dont feed him iceberg lettuce it has no nutrition) these are 2 very basic vegetables if you dont have these tell me what you do have. You need to advocate for your lizards health to your parents in a humble and calm way, you say you’re a kid but you can still have an influence , you need to do research and look up what could be the causes of the drool and behavior, and then have a conversation with them and show them what you’ve found , if you have to break out the water works do it, but do not loose your calmness it’s important, if you just result to screaming like them then you have achieved nothing, do you have tin foil? You can put that on the spots the cats jump up on(cats are freaked out by it) the sand does it fall through your hand easily when you try and grab a fistful of it? Or does it compact? Sand can be fine , it jus has to be the right kind . There’s lots of other people on here who have excellent advice aswell please do listen to them

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
So my beardie has been puffing and has a big amount of spit across the edges of his mouth.
I would definitely take him to the vet, but being one problem is that I'm just a kid, I get no say in my pets health because I'm not taken seriously. I've told my parents, they just scream at how he's healthy.
If you can help me on what I can do to help him, I try my best with him.
Some info, as well, that may be useful -
Hes 10 years old
He lives in a sand substrate (I tried to change my parents mind for years now and they still don't agree to how it can harm him)
We live with two cats, they like to bang on the tank, I try to stop them as much as I can
Is it spit or mucus? It could be a respiratory infection, and in that case, your dragon is not healthy at all and needs a vet. Have you shown your parents articles and videos that back up your argument? The only thing you can do right now in the case of an RI is to bump up the temps by 3-5 degrees.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UVB and basking temps are the most important things in the tank- if your using a coil UVB it needs to be replaced ASAP- he will not get any better w/ a coil-- it does sound like a RI-- Is he wheezing any popping noise crackling noise? If your parents are unwilling to help the dragon I would recommend rehoming him rather than have him get sicker and suffer

Latest posts