• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Protein

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I tried to feed the little ones Roach Nymphs last night. The nymphs are about the size of the little ones eyes.
The problem is that they appear to be scared of the Roach Nymphs, and scuttle away rather than eat them.

On the up side, I put a saucer of finely grated and diced carrot in the cage with them yesterday before going to work.
When I got home, all of the carrot, dusted with calcium of course had been eaten.

Now for the questions. Are the size of roach nymphs still too big for them?, What is the easiest way to get them to take the roach nymphs?

Nght_RideA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I wouldnt be able to help you on the roach question...but good form on the veggies !! ;D

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'd give them another go on the insects... For my newly hatched geck, I used 1 week old dubia... She's almost big enough now to eat 2 week old nymphs.
Also, I'd be hesitant to offer a whole lot of carrot... What you want to offer them are leafy greens.
Hope this helps.

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Definitely helps with this info. I will definitely try and try and try with the roach nymphs.
I will also start with a mixed salad. I have been dusting the carrot with Calcium, is this alright at only 2 days old.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would be hesitant to offer that more than once a week with a 2 month old and older...
Carrots might be bright and attractive, but they don't have what's needed... The mix sounds good... Monique I am sure can suggest (if she and you aren't already sharing information) a good mix for those babies.
Hope this helps.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The key to a dragon's diet is VARIETY. That goes for proteins and salad mix. Acceptable proteins are crickets, dubia roaches, phoenix worms to name a few. Some good veggies are bell peppers, green/yellow squash, snow peas, butternut squash, sweet potato to name a few. Excellent greens are collard greens, mustard greens, carrot tops, broccoli leaves, parsley. Here's a link to our food chart. You can download a printable copy to have on hand.

Bearded Dragon Diet

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My babies didn't start eating protein until about the 3rd day out of the eggs. They however devoured their greens. They may just be a little scared because they never seen roaches before. As for the salad mix, it seems like everyone suggested some good stuff

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Roland, I dont know if the stores there in Durbs suck as much as they do here but you have 2 options
If you can get, the following is available @ Fruit & Veg or PnP/Spar
Rocket
Patty pans
Baby Marrow
Green beans
Snap peas
Swiss Chard (feed Occasional)
Carrot tops (Ask at the store sometimes they cut them off and just put the carrots on display)
Butternut
Sweet potato
Papaya
Bok Choy (feed Occasional)
Turnip tops
Beetroot leaves (feed Occasional)

Option 2
Plant your own as it gives you better variety.
I currently have the following seedlings
Mustard
Turnips
Rocket
Lucerne

If they grow there wild like here you can use Cactus pads and the fruit as a treat
Mulberry leaves

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Once again, thank you all.

Monique I have prepared a salad of Carrot, Mulberry Leaves, Green Pepper, Red Pepper, Yellow Pepper, Papaya and Gem Squash which I will put in the cage tomorrow morning.

I have put the babies bedroom light off now and tucked them all up for the night. :D

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
On Saturday the majority of the babies turned 5 days old. None of them had yet received any protein because they still keep running away from the Roaches.

On Sunday I felt that a change in tactics was needed.
I took two fairly large tubs, one to feed a baby in and the other to put it into after feeding.
I then caught a two week old Roach, held it with tweasers and presented it to the babies in their holding cage.
BANG, a baby charged forward and grabbed the Roach off the tweasers, whille he was still chewing, I caught him and placed him in the feeding tub, fed him till he did not want anymore, and transferred him to the holding tub.
I then repeated the whole process from the beginning. I fed 12 babies this way.
Another 4 or 5 ate, but I cannot confirm who they were because in some cases they grabbed the roach off the tweasers and ran into the pack before I could catch them, in three cases roaches dropped out of the tweasers onto the cage floor and a baby would charge out of the pack, grab the roach and charge back into the pack.

Although this is such a time consuming operation, it is so rewarding.

Latest posts